Battery Dead after 5 years!

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #1  

KenPauling

Silver Member
Tractor
Now Holland TN 65D with Cab
How long did your battery last? I have a 2004 TN65D and my battery is no longer holding a charge. Even though the tractor is kept out of the weather in an unheated garage, my battery only lasted 5 years. I know the intermittent use of my tractor was hard on the battery. I'm interested in other owners luck with their batteries. Finding a good replacement battery at a reasonable price is not easy.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #2  
I'll be happy if my factory battery lasts 5 years. I'm on 3 years now and it's going strong, knock on wood.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #3  
I have a 2001 TC25D and the battery has been the least reliable item on the tractor. I've tried TSC, Optima, Die Hard and dry cells, probably 5 different ones, including the original. Like you, my tractor is kept in an unheated garage. The only thing that worked was to keep a Battery Tender connected when I put the tractor away.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #4  
Last Kubota 10 years before replacing w/another Kubota battery.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #5  
Ok Guys,

I just traded in my IH 1066 this spring, the batteries in that tractor were put in new in 1995. Each vehicle I get the first thing I do is wire in a Battery Charging hookup, make it one that you do not have to open the hood to hook it up.

When you get a new battery, open her up, check the acid level, charge that battery for a week before using it, check every cell with a hydrometer, my new DX60 came with a battery and half the cells were bad on a new battery. Got a new battery from the dealer and charged it up before using it and checked it also. I also check the positive and ground connections of the vehicle. I've seen grounding points that needed to be scraped off for a good ground.

The first charge on a battery is the most important one. Every vehicle in my shop has a Battery hookup or an on board battery charger with a plug in that I can get to without opening anything. Every time that vehicle is parked we hookup a 1.5 amp charger. I like the Schumacher brand Automatic chargers.

In the fall, check that battery out, check it's fluid, top it off with distilled water only, clean those connectors and put her back on the charger. My average Diesel truck battery's last 7-9 years. I just replaced the original ATV batteries that came in our 2002's this year, I think they got weak because they were hold overs at the dealer and were not properly cared for or prepped by the dealer.

Hope this helps.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #6  
Bought my TC18 brand new in 2001. Battery is just now having trouble holding a charge. Has always been kept outside parked in the driveway. Will probably replace with Exide group 51 battery from TSC.

Guy.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #8  
My 88 Ford F250's original equipment HD battery lasted a full 13 years with no special treatment.
No brag, just fact.
Jim

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #9  
The battery in my 1920 is in it's 10th year. Other than checking fluids occasionally I keep a battery maintainer on it during the winter months whenever the tractor is not in use.

Now boat batteries are a whole 'nother can of worms.

/ Battery Dead after 5 years! #10  
I got 9yrs 5mos out of my factory original battery. Not bad for the many frigid winters it had to endure.