Oil & Fuel TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem?

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem? #1  

webbmeister

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC25D
Hi Guys - It has been quite awhile since I've been here, mostly because the tractor has been running well. Well, as of this morning, he's not running at all. I'll try to provide a sequence of what has gone on and would certainly appreciate any guidance you all might have. One kink in the equation is that my dealer has gone out of business, and it is a heck of a tow to the next available New Holland shop! OK! Here we go:

1. Two weeks ago, I had to turn over the starter quite a few more times than usual. The symptoms were similar to what happens when you run out of fuel and then try to start again (after refueling) without bleeding the system. (I hadn't run out of fuel - the tractor just started as if I had). It eventually started - slow with lots of black smoke - and the RPMs came up and the smoke cleared up. I was then able to plow the drive normally. When I finished, I turned off the tractor, waited ten minutes or so, and started it again to see if I'd have trouble. It started right up.

2. Yesterday morning, as the tractor first turned over, there were a few puffs of smoke indicating that it was trying to start, and then it just turned over as if there was no fuel at all. It's c-o-l-d out there, and it wasn't too long before the battery had had enough. I hooked up a smart charger and plugged in the engine block heater and left it for today.

3. This morning, it turned over great, but there was no sign of ignition. I cycled the glow plugs several times, but still no go. I then poured about 1/2 pint of Diesel 911 into the tank, took off the fuel bowl, poured out what was in there, filled it 1/2 way with 911 and the rest with diesel. The fuel filter was replaced during regular maintenance in October, and it appears fine. Now, notice I didn't mention that I turned the lever to shut off the fuel just before the filter. It wouldn't turn, I was getting frustrated, so I used a wrench and broke of the long piece of the handle. (D'oh!) The upside of that bright move was that as I emptied the bowl etc., I could see that the fuel was flowing quite freely from the tank into the bowl! With everything back in place, I loosened the bleeder valve and turned over the engine hoping to see the familiar flow of fuel from the valve. No luck.

4. I fiddled with it for awhile more, including trying again to close the fuel valve in front of the filter bowl. I succeeded in making it move, but I don't think anything moved internally since the flow of fuel from the tank continued whether I had the valve in the on or the off position. I did remove the hose from the output of the fuel filter bowl and discovered that fuel was dribbling out of there (without turning over the engine) but not nearly as much or as fast as the fuel coming from the tank to the bowl. I put the hose back on, tightened the clamp, and with the bleeder valve still open turned over the engine. Again, no fuel from the bleeder valve.

The tractor has just under 500 hours on it, and all maintenance has occurred on schedule. It has been well taken care of. I'm not sure what to try next. Does anyone here have an idea about what to try next? Is it possible that fuel might have gelled in the pump/injector area and not in the tank or lines? Stumped and grateful for any help.

Jim

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem? #2  
I'd say the next thing you do is replace that valve..

soundguy

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem? #3  
whats the temp? does the tractor sit inside or outside? get a hairdryer and heat the injector and fuel lines for 10-20 minutes to pre-warm them.
If your not getting any fuel from the bleeder valve then its not going to run. double check the line from the filter to the bleeder valve, remove it, blow it out with compressed air make sure its clear. sounds like your on the right track. A nice hot hair dryer is what got me going :)

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem?
He sits outside, and the temp is around 0 at night and in the low teens during the day. I'll try the hair dryer and report back. Thanks!

Jim

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem? #5  
Throw a tarp over it and put an electric heater under it.:D

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem? #6  
So did you get it going?

/ TC25D Won't Start - Possible Fuel System Problem?
Yes. There was enough water in the bowl to crystallize/freeze and that was keeping the fuel from flowing. Replaced entire bowl/filter assembly. Works now.