clutch stuck, Ford 1920

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #1  

peters

I recently broke my ankle, so the tractor sat for 3 months. Went to start it and clutch was stuck, could force it in and out of first and second gear. Usually ( in the past ), when this happened I would run it for 30 min and the clutch would break loose, this time it has not. I have a manual ( not hydrostatic ). I also had not placed the little stick they supplied with the tractor in between the bottom of the floorboard and clutch lever. Any ideas ?

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #2  
I recently broke my ankle, so the tractor sat for 3 months. Went to start it and clutch was stuck, could force it in and out of first and second gear. Usually ( in the past ), when this happened I would run it for 30 min and the clutch would break loose, this time it has not. I have a manual ( not hydrostatic ). I also had not placed the little stick they supplied with the tractor in between the bottom of the floorboard and clutch lever. Any ideas ?

Be careful with this before you take it to a dealer. I have a NH tC-29 and the same thing happened to me..clutch was stuck and could not get it in gear. I called my local NH dealer and he said he would have to split the tractor to fix it - I asked him how much it would cost and he said a minimum of $2,200.00. I called a local independent farm tractor and equipment dealer that sells new and used attachments and used tractors and has been in business for 30 yrs. and he came out a picked up my tractor and brought it back the next day and charged me $100.00 and told me to keep the clutch pedal depressed every time I stopped using it to prevent moisture, humidity from causing it to rust. Now that is a huge difference..$2,200 vs. $100 so I now keep the clutch depressed when not in use and it has been 2 yrs. and no problem..so there is a way to fix your clutch without splitting the tractor.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #3  
Peters, There are several threads with stuck clutches and how to free them. Just search using stuck and clutch and see if you are comfortable with doing their advice.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #4  
Most of the time you can hold(and keep it down till free) the clutch pedal down and with the transmission in a low gear have some one pull you and it will break free. If that doesn't work you will have to make some preparations for the start put a box blade with the rippers down or something that you can put a good load on the clutch, hold(and keep it down till free) the clutch pedal down and have someone pull start the tractor and then drop the box blade into the ground to separate the clutch from the flywheel. Take safety precautions.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #5  
My sugestion is to go ahead and block the clutch and walk away for a few days.. then come back and check.. many times they pop loose on their own.. if not, go ahead and get it in gear and start it... not super easy.. but with a lil jumper wire you can do so from the op seat.. keep the clutch blocked and drive it around in figure 8's stomping on the brakes.

if that don't do it, you can also use your lil jumper wire to set there and bump the starter over with her in high gear and the clutch blocked and try to pop her loose.

lastly, put a pto load on her like a mower and start her with pto engaged a couple times.

one or more of those have always worked for me in the past... have yet had to split one from a stuck clutch.. though do realize that in some extreme cases.. you don't have much choice.

have enen pulled starters so I could get a poker in there to tap around on the clutch too..

post back.

soundguy

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #6  
:pStuck clutch?? some tractors also have a removeable plate in the underside of the bellhousing so that the secondary clutch can be adjusted.Remove the plate have the clutch pedal depressed and with a long screw driver or flat bar you should beable to reach up in through that area and get between the clutch and the flywheel and free them from each other. You might have to get creative and bend the screw driver or flat bar to get to that area.Like others have said as well put the tractor in high gear and have someone tow or pull the tractor while you have the clutch depressed and while your moving let it out quickly to see if that'll help break it free, Use high gear as this way it'll put more torque onto the clutch plate.It can be done without splitting the tractor.Just need to try and try untill it breaks free.Goodluck and keep us posted.Larry:D:D

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #7  

Start tractor in gear.Depress clutch pedal and slam on break.This will separate clutch from flywheel.You should then push into a pile of dirt and let the clutch slip.This will help polish off the rust.I've experienced this many times.If humidity is high clutch will stick in a matter of days.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #8  
I've got the same problem. I've run it up and down the road and slammed the brakes on while holding the clutch in and it just dies. Maybe I need to let it warm up more before I attempt it again. Very frustrating. My Deere never did this and I let it sit for long periods of time without the pedal depressed. Getting a bit frustrated and a bit miffed. :confused2:

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #9  
wow.. either your 1920 has a weak engine, or some mighty fine brakes.

even when new, my brakes on my 1920 were nothing more than an inconvienience for my 1920 pulled the motor down just a tad, and the machine would travel along happily.. :)

soundguy

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #10  
Soundguy,

Is it possible im not giving it enough throttle? Im clicking along maybe 8-10 MPH at best. Im guessing from your post I need to strap the seat belt on & get it going a bit faster then try it again? Just afraid im gonna screw it up somehow. The brakes are stout on this little dude.

OK...also I just went outside & checked the free-play on the clutch pedal. It's about 5" until I can feel the fingers hit something solid in the clutch...surely the T/O bearing hitting the forks. Could it be that the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted out? The person I got the tractor from said they had the clutch replaced by the dealer but who knows. I've never known the free play to be that far out. Also...to hijack the thread a little bit and since you had a 1920 can you tell me what the levers on the right side near the driver are? I haven't been on the tractor at all to know what the levers do. I assume one engages the 4WD but not sure of the other one. The one near the seat has a red handle on it. The one near your right foot has sort of a T-head on it that's curved. Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited: