clutch stuck, Ford 1920

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #1  

peters

I recently broke my ankle, so the tractor sat for 3 months. Went to start it and clutch was stuck, could force it in and out of first and second gear. Usually ( in the past ), when this happened I would run it for 30 min and the clutch would break loose, this time it has not. I have a manual ( not hydrostatic ). I also had not placed the little stick they supplied with the tractor in between the bottom of the floorboard and clutch lever. Any ideas ?

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #2  
This seems to happen with antique tractors a lot we have a couple of methods that we use to get them loose. I will assume that the clutch pedal is free and moving normally. Can the tractor be started in gear? You may have to bypass a couple of safety switches to get this done.
1) If you can get it started in gear simply drive around with the clutch pedal depressed (higher gear is better). As you drive around vary load and engine speed conditions suddenly. The vibrations and torque from the engine will often break the clutch disk loose from the flywheel. Sometimes the old timers would run the tractor into a tree to put the sudden load on the clutch. I don't think that is a very good idea though!
2) Hook the tractor up to another tractor or truck like you are going to pull start it. Put the tractor in gear and hold the clutch pedal down. When the other tractor pulls you the torque going through the clutch will break it free.
3) Put the tractor in gear and block the clutch pedal down. The jarring back and forth will break the clutch free. Make sure that the key/fuel are turned off so that the tractor cannot start while you are pushing on it.
4) Jack up one rear wheel so that it turns free. Put the tractor in gear and attempt to rotate the tire forwards and backwards. The jarring from the tire rotation will break the clutch free. Make sure that 4wd is NOT engaged and that the key and fuel are turned off.

These are a few methods that you can try without dissasembly of the tractor.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #3  
This seems to happen with antique tractors a lot we have a couple of methods that we use to get them loose. I will assume that the clutch pedal is free and moving normally. Can the tractor be started in gear? You may have to bypass a couple of safety switches to get this done.
1) If you can get it started in gear simply drive around with the clutch pedal depressed (higher gear is better). As you drive around vary load and engine speed conditions suddenly. The vibrations and torque from the engine will often break the clutch disk loose from the flywheel. Sometimes the old timers would run the tractor into a tree to put the sudden load on the clutch. I don't think that is a very good idea though!
2) Hook the tractor up to another tractor or truck like you are going to pull start it. Put the tractor in gear and hold the clutch pedal down. When the other tractor pulls you the torque going through the clutch will break it free.
3) Put the tractor in gear and block the clutch pedal down. The jarring back and forth will break the clutch free. Make sure that the key/fuel are turned off so that the tractor cannot start while you are pushing on it.
4) Jack up one rear wheel so that it turns free. Put the tractor in gear and attempt to rotate the tire forwards and backwards. The jarring from the tire rotation will break the clutch free. Make sure that 4wd is NOT engaged and that the key and fuel are turned off.

These are a few methods that you can try without dissasembly of the tractor.

So based on the above ..the tractor does not have to be split to free up the clutch. Again, the quote I got from a dealer was $2,200 to split my NH TC-29 to free up my clutch and then a local used tractor dealer fixed it for $100 without splitting the tractor...so he probably used one of the techniques you mention in your post at a great savings to me. My point is we have to shop around and be careful...some of these repairs can get out of hand.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #4  
I have the same problem, mine also has the cross shaft for the clutch frozen after tractor sat for about three years. got it freed but the shaft is still real hard to move.

Just hoping that penetrating oil and regular use will free it on up as I don't want to have to split tractor!!!

If anyone has any ideas that may help please let me know!!!:ashamed:
I have a 1974 ford 2000 gas engine!!

Thanks!!

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #5  
The running it into a tree method works everytime, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it! A friend of mine has an A.C. CUT and has done this at least three times that I know of with success everytime. You don't usually have to hit the tree that hard, but you do want to make sure you don't have anything up front to mess up either; oh yea, wear your seatbelt!

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #6  
I had an International tractor with the stuck clutch. I tried driving the tractor with the pedal blocked down, dropped the box blade to put load on, backed the box blade into a bank of dirt, etc, all to no avail. I finally blocked the pedal down and left it for about a week. I went back, started it in gear and drove off with the pedal down. The first small incline I went down broke the clutch loose. I have a theory that releasing the pressure on the clutch disk allows it to "relax" a little over time and weaken the bond so it breaks loose easier.

/ clutch stuck, Ford 1920 #7  
yep.. I'd had plenty that unstuck by themselves after letting them set for a few days.

soundguy