Ford 2120

/ Ford 2120 #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
Someone told me that there were higher than average failures on the Ford 2120's Can anyone substantiate this? I have been looking at a used 2120 and am leary of it now.

/ Ford 2120 #2  
Failures of what? What kind of failures? I owned a Ford 1920 (one size smaller)for 11 years and never had any type of problem. The only reason I sold it was to move up to a bigger New Holland tractor. Sounds like a lot of baloney to me. I know several people that owned the 2120 and they had nothing but praise for its performance. As a matter of fact, its power and performance has been outstanding. I wouldn't pay any attention to this story. I would take a knowledgeable friend along to look the tractor over to see if its been abused, damaged or well taken care of. Any brand tractor can be ruined in short order by a person that doesn't know how to take care of it.

/ Ford 2120 #3  
I'll second Ken's response. Those with the hydraulic shuttle (great feature) like any hydraulic component require clean fluids and decent change intervals. I don't think the rest of the tractor is troublesome at all. In fact when I read here about the electrical problems people have with their newer rigs I'm happy mine's 16 yrs old and simpler.
Jim

/ Ford 2120 #5  
I've had a 2120 since 1987 with virtually no problems. The 2120 was one of Ford/New Holland's most popular and reliable tractors.

Whoever told you that just doesn't know what that are talking about.

Andy

/ Ford 2120 #6  
Ditto that.. I had a 1920 for a few years and traded it back to the dealer I bought it from in order to get into a larger tractor.. IMHO.. the 1920 was an awesome tractor.. and the 2120 is it's big awesome brother..

soundguy

/ Ford 2120 #8  
I've owned one for many years and it's outperformed my expectations repeatedly. The backhoe attachment is awesome!

/ Ford 2120 #9  
I'll ditto all the comments about dependability. :)

I've had my 2120 since 1996 and the only problem I've had was the end of the throttle cable snapped off a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure I caused it to fail by pressure washing. The cable got wet inside the sheath and corroded, then finally stiffened up and broke. Fixed it for under $28.

/ Ford 2120 #10  
How about a larger picture of that JEM HitchHiker.:D