Default Ford 340B w/ 3pt backhoe questions

Hello fellas,
    I am looking at a Ford 340B by me for sale recently. I don't know anything about the 340B, I want to know what you guys can tell
    me about the 340's. A couple of question I have off the top:

1 - this will sound like a silly question, but I got side tracked when i was checking it out and for got to check if the seat adjustable,
    I am a little tall, and I noticed I was a little uncomfortable with the seat being so close to the pedals and steering wheel. I am
    pretty sure it is adjustable , most are on tracotrs.

2 - I understand Ford made 3 - 340 models.......340, 340A, 340B, don't know what the difference is.

3 - is it relatively easy to get parts for it.

4 - what is a fair price for it in pretty good condition

5 - is it a reliable machine, engine, transmission , etc. (it also has PTO and 3pt)

6 - are they a 12v or 24 v system on them.

7 - what is the approximate weight of it ( just curious, don't plan on towing it anywhere)

8 - I noticed when it was running ( it is a diesel) every once in a while it would jump or speed up rpm for a brief instant, like all of a
    sudden something cleared in the fuel line ( it was a cold day when I tested it, below 25 degress F ). Is that common for them?
    I am thinking it might be a dirty injector. ( overall it did run good). Supposedly it is not run very often, maybe it just needs to work in ?

9 - I opened the fuel cap and a seen a steady stream of fuel going into the tank from what I believe was the return line
    (it was up by the neck of the tank). Is this normal.

Lastly, their is also a 3pt backhoe, I think by ARPS, anybody ever here of them .
    Thanks

Platinum Member

Default Re: Ford 340B w/ 3pt backhoe questions

Quote Originally Posted by jukenut View Post
    Hello fellas,
    I am looking at a Ford 340B by me for sale recently. I don't know anything about the 340B, I want to know what you guys can tell
    me about the 340's. A couple of question I have off the top:

1 - this will sound like a silly question, but I got side tracked when i was checking it out and for got to check if the seat adjustable,
    I am a little tall, and I noticed I was a little uncomfortable with the seat being so close to the pedals and steering wheel. I am
    pretty sure it is adjustable , most are on tracotrs.

The seats on most of these tractors were attached to the lift cover with a couple of studs. The seats could be adjusted fore/aft on these bolts/studs if the seat itself is not adjustable. Easy modifications.

2 - I understand Ford made 3 - 340 models.......340, 340A, 340B, don't know what the difference is.
    It's a generational thing. The 340 came first, then the A, then the B. The differences may have only been styling, maybe a transmission offering, as the basic vehicle remained pretty much the same.

3 - is it relatively easy to get parts for it. Yes.

4 - what is a fair price for it in pretty good condition Can vary geographically.

5 - is it a reliable machine, engine, transmission , etc. (it also has PTO and 3pt) Yes, it was a pretty reliable machine.

6 - are they a 12v or 24 v system on them. 12 Volt

7 - what is the approximate weight of it ( just curious, don't plan on towing it anywhere)

8 - I noticed when it was running ( it is a diesel) every once in a while it would jump or speed up rpm for a brief instant, like all of a
    sudden something cleared in the fuel line ( it was a cold day when I tested it, below 25 degress F ). Is that common for them? Not unusual
    I am thinking it might be a dirty injector. ( overall it did run good). Supposedly it is not run very often, maybe it just needs to work in ?

9 - I opened the fuel cap and a seen a steady stream of fuel going into the tank from what I believe was the return line
    (it was up by the neck of the tank). Is this normal. Yes, normal.

Lastly, their is also a 3pt backhoe, I think by ARPS, anybody ever here of them . Arps was one of the earlier suppliers of aftermarket attachments and was reputable.
    Thanks
    They were good tractors. I wouldn't be reluctant to own one. It's a utility variation of the 3600 ag tractor with a front axle of greater load carrying capacity. Good luck with your pursuit.
    The Opti-Mist