Oil & Fuel No fuel to the Thermostart manifold heater

/ No fuel to the Thermostart manifold heater #1  

aleefers

I have a new holland 655E backhoe loader with an iveco engine that will not start in cold weather, about 40F and lower. The owners manual says its equipped with a thermostart. I am learning how this thermostart system works little by little. As I understand, it is basically a cig lighter that lights a small amount of diesel to warm the intake manifold. When I turn the key, the light in the cab comes on and I can hear the fuel pump slow when I activate the thermostart, but I see no improvement in starting. I took out the cig lighter thing and tested it on the bench with a battery, it glows red. When I removed the fuel line there was no fuel drip, when I turned the key there was no fuel coming from the line. I checked for fuel where the thermostart line attaches to the injection pump and there is no fuel there either with the thermostart light on in the cab. There is diesel residue on the cig lighter like it was working at one time. So my question is what triggers fuel to be sent to the thermostart?

/ No fuel to the Thermostart manifold heater #2  
Mine looks like it's just a gravity drip on the glow plug from whatever fuel is in the line that goes up over the top of the engine. I haven't ever had to use it even in below zero weather but the times I tried it out it started real fast. Even without it it usually fires up in one or two seconds.
I have a mechanical fuel pump so your system may be a little different.

/ No fuel to the Thermostart manifold heater #3  
I'm new to this thermostart also. I think my manula said something about trying to start and push the thermostart at the same time? Don't have my book with me. Just got the tractor a couple of weeks ago, still learning. Keep inside garage. But i started the tractor at about 20 degrees, fired up like charm. I'll go down tonite and get the book.

/ No fuel to the Thermostart manifold heater #4  
I'm new to this thermostart also. I think my manula said something about trying to start and push the thermostart at the same time? Don't have my book with me. Just got the tractor a couple of weeks ago, still learning. Keep inside garage. But i started the tractor at about 20 degrees, fired up like charm. I'll go down tonite and get the book.

I am pretty sure the Perky in your MF was Thermostart. The a3.152 was.