ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch #1  

jbrine

Tractor
'86 Ford 1310
Sorry in advance for a long story...!

so i have a ford 1310 that i got from a friend after the clutch went out on him, or so he said.

we pushed the tractor up on his trailer using his new tractor. i got it off by parking on a hill and carefully rolling it off.

the next day i started the tractor. I got the tractor to 'pop' into gear without grinding the gears. By idling the tractor at about 1000 rpms 2nd range will pop right in to any gear, from there idle up to 1500 rpms and 3rd and 4th range will pop right in.

I've used the tractor occasionally for about 2 years now just carefully speed matching the gears, but recently have been using it a lot more.

From what i can tell this tractor has a single clutch, though both a single and dual are offered for it. The clutch that is on the tractor currently is "Stuck" and through several attempts i have never been able to free it up. I got to looking at it today and it appears as though one of the fingers on the pressure plate is broken, so that my be why i am unable to free the clutch.

I am planning on splitting the tractor and replacing the pressure plate, clutch and all bearings. i am 'mechanically inclined' having done several automotive engine/transmission pulls, rebuilds etc, but this will be my first tractor project. i have a garage offered to me to work in too!

Can i simply put a dual clutch in? or should i go back with a single. Currently i do not own any pto implements, but i do plan on buying mower, bush hog and tiller. so having a dual clutch would definitely be better in the long run.

I'm somewhat new to tractors, i know a dual clutch uses the top half/bottom half to engage/disengage the pto and transmission separately, but how would the pto engage/disengage with the single clutch? i have never used the pto...

Thank you in advance,
Josh

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch #2  
You can not replace the single clutch with a dual. The input shaft from the trans has an inner and outer shaft on a dual clutch.
Bill

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch #3  
Welcome to the forum.
but how would the pto engage/disengage with the single clutch?
With a single clutch, you engage the PTO with a lever (meshes the gears) and the PTO only operates when the clutch is engaged (so with or without the tranny in gear).

Get a manual for splitting the tractor. That will guide you through the steps, and it will be a fairly straight forward job. Might check on parts before tearing down.

Might look here
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/model_parts.cgi?SearchArea=FORD&&md=1310&cat=Clutch&r=mcats

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch
Welcome to the forum.

With a single clutch, you engage the PTO with a lever (meshes the gears) and the PTO only operates when the clutch is engaged (so with or without the tranny in gear).

Get a manual for splitting the tractor. That will guide you through the steps, and it will be a fairly straight forward job. Might check on parts before tearing down.

i'll be ordering parts next week. still looking around at prices. does anyone know about the clutches available on ebay? i looked at messicks' too, any other places worth looking?

thanks

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch #5  
Sorry in advance for a long story...!

so i have a ford 1310 that i got from a friend after the clutch went out on him, or so he said.

we pushed the tractor up on his trailer using his new tractor. i got it off by parking on a hill and carefully rolling it off.

the next day i started the tractor. I got the tractor to 'pop' into gear without grinding the gears. By idling the tractor at about 1000 rpms 2nd range will pop right in to any gear, from there idle up to 1500 rpms and 3rd and 4th range will pop right in.

I've used the tractor occasionally for about 2 years now just carefully speed matching the gears, but recently have been using it a lot more.

From what i can tell this tractor has a single clutch, though both a single and dual are offered for it. The clutch that is on the tractor currently is "Stuck" and through several attempts i have never been able to free it up. I got to looking at it today and it appears as though one of the fingers on the pressure plate is broken, so that my be why i am unable to free the clutch.

I am planning on splitting the tractor and replacing the pressure plate, clutch and all bearings. i am 'mechanically inclined' having done several automotive engine/transmission pulls, rebuilds etc, but this will be my first tractor project. i have a garage offered to me to work in too!

Can i simply put a dual clutch in? or should i go back with a single. Currently i do not own any pto implements, but i do plan on buying mower, bush hog and tiller. so having a dual clutch would definitely be better in the long run.

I'm somewhat new to tractors, i know a dual clutch uses the top half/bottom half to engage/disengage the pto and transmission separately, but how would the pto engage/disengage with the single clutch? i have never used the pto...

Thank you in advance,
Josh

If you have single clutch,with a with pressure plate and broken fingers then you should be able to have PTO yet. There is sliding coupler to enge and disengage PTO in the rear diffy, are you able to engage and this engage pto? have you ever used the pto? does it rotate?.

as far as dual vs a single clutch, if you indeed have single clutch then you have one input shaft as Bill mentioned previously. there is serious difference in mechanics of single to dual clutch and two input shafts, probably not impossible but doubt you'll be able to find the parts for the completed tear down and rebuild. You can easily buy a kit that include pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate under $300on line.

JC,

Last edited:
If you have single clutch,with a with pressure plate and broken fingers then you should be able to have PTO yet. There is sliding coupler to enge and disengage PTO in the rear diffy, are you able to engage and this engage pto? have you ever used the pto? does it rotate?.

as far as dual vs a single clutch, if you indeed have single clutch then you have on input shaft as Bill mentioned previously. there is serious difference in mechanics of single to dual clutch and two input, probably not impossible but doubt you'll be able to find the parts for the completed tear down and rebuilt. You c an easily buy a kit that include pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate under $300on line.

JC,

yeah, the pto engages, and rotates fine, it is hard to engage it without grinding though; but that is doing it without the use of the clutch.

i will be replacing the single clutch, if i have used it this long without a clutch, then surely i'll get by with a single...

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch #7  
yeah, the pto engages, and rotates fine, it is hard to engage it without grinding though; but that is doing it without the use of the clutch.

i will be replacing the single clutch, if i have used it this long without a clutch, then surely i'll get by with a single...

Good, so your one way clutch, AKA internal ORC (Over Running clutch) is working properly along with sliding coupler. Single clutch is perfectly fine for many tasks with it's limitation. May want to check the link below for replacement parts , go to the bottom of the page for Shibura. It lists it for 1310 but you might send an email to them to clarify. It should cost right around $200 and some. Good luck, it is a doable one man job for the size of your tractor.

JC

index

Last edited:
Good, so your one way clutch, AKA internal ORC (Over Running clutch) is working properly along with sliding coupler. Single clutch is perfectly fine for many tasks with it's limitation. May want to check the link below for replacement parts , go to the bottom of the page for Shibura. It lists it for 1310 but you might send an email to them to clarify. It should cost right around $200 and some. Good luck, it is a doable one man job for the size of your tractor.

JC

index

thanks

yeah i may be starting on it this week, i've got to work a few days then i'll have some time off. so i'll order the parts in the morning and see when they get here.

oh by the way here is a pic of it. sorry about the quality its from my blackberry.
19132_1366199354259_1209904051_31097415_4380581_n.jpg

/ ford 1310 stuck/broken clutch #9  
Your 1310 appears to be a newer vintage with FWA and factory ROPS. Looks good, a bit of TLC and she'll purr like a kitten again.

JC,

Ps. Do you have a handhole on the right side of clutch housing? if so, might want to take a peek at by taking the rubber cover off to make sure you have single clutch. PTO clutch is the first clutch disk and the second would be for locomotion. If you have double clutch, then I can see tractor reacting the same way broken pressure plate finger. I'd do it just to be on the safe side before ordering. Double clutch demands at least 4 times as much of a single flavor.

Last edited:
Your 1310 appears to be a newer vintage with FWA and factory ROPS. Looks good, a bit of TLC and she'll purr like a kitten again.

JC,

Ps. Do you have a handhole on the right side of clutch housing? if so, might want to take a peek at by taking the rubber cover off to make sure you have single clutch. PTO clutch is the first clutch disk and the second would be for locomotion. If you have double clutch, then I can see tractor reacting the same way broken pressure plate finger. I'd do it just to be on the safe side before ordering. Double clutch demands at least 4 times as much of a single flavor.

Iirc its an '86. The only other problems with the tractor are:
somebody rewired it, they did a poor job. (i have rewired some of it already i had to get the flashers working before i drove it down the road a bit)
I have rust problems on two of the rims, they are all filled with water/antifreeze, except for one, which will not hold air for more than 6 hours.

I looked through the handhole. It has the single clutch, I wasn't sure (never having seen a double clutch before) till i saw the difference between the two parts online. Its definitely a single. I ordered the parts this morning.

i'll be updating this thread with pictures and questions as i split the tractor.

Thank you for all the input so far, it has been very appreciated and very helpful.
-Josh

Last edited: