TC33DA bogging down

/ TC33DA bogging down #1  

Wanderer

Hello,

I was using a NH TC33DA today and the motor started bogging down terribly. I was running in second on a hill pushing snow like normal when it came to a halt. Letting off the pedal helped. It got to the point that when on a flat surface it felt like it was going to run out of fuel. It has plenty of fuel and as long as the engine is not under drive load the engine sounds smooth and fine.

I checked fuel level, trans oil level (Note: This has some milk residue in it). There is sometimes loud squealing from the front underneath as well. Bringing to to a stop and the squeal goes away. Other then that I am clueless.

Any thoughts?

/ TC33DA bogging down #2  
Hello,

I was using a NH TC33DA today and the motor started bogging down terribly. I was running in second on a hill pushing snow like normal when it came to a halt. Letting off the pedal helped. It got to the point that when on a flat surface it felt like it was going to run out of fuel. It has plenty of fuel and as long as the engine is not under drive load the engine sounds smooth and fine.

I checked fuel level, trans oil level (Note: This has some milk residue in it). There is sometimes loud squealing from the front underneath as well. Bringing to to a stop and the squeal goes away. Other then that I am clueless.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to TBN. Is it freezing where you are? The stated milky appearance could be moisture in the fluid. Is this an HST (Hydrostatic) transmission. If it is and the temps are below freezing you could plugging up the HST filter with ice particles. IF THE HST FILTER IS PLUGGED DO NOT TRY TO RUN THE TRACTOR STARVING THE HST IT CAN DAMAGE THE HST. Check the brakes to see if they are sticking. Check the fuel to see if it may have water in the fuel bowl/filter check the fuel filter to see if it is plugged. What is the air temp where you are? Does the tractor put out black smoke from the exhaust when it tries to bog down?

/ TC33DA bogging down
Thanks for the quick reply. The air temp is 20 outside in Northern Maryland. We are trying to get the driveway done so we can get out. Its a 1/4 mile long so shovels wont do it :)

It is an HST. I do not see smoke when it bogs down but increasing or decreasing the throttle lever does nothing really when it start bogging.

/ TC33DA bogging down #4  
Thanks for the quick reply. The air temp is 20 outside in Northern Maryland. We are trying to get the driveway done so we can get out. Its a 1/4 mile long so shovels wont do it :)

It is an HST. I do not see smoke when it bogs down but increasing or decreasing the throttle lever does nothing really when it start bogging.

If you push forward on the pedal does it try to go and the motor slows down? If so then I would think it is not the HST. It is hard to diagnose without all of the info. Does it start well? Is it Kept in a heated area? Does it have fuel conditioner in the diesel? Did you check the brakes to see if they are sticking (common problem with simple fix)?

/ TC33DA bogging down #5  
check the fuel filters and tank drain for water or wax??:confused:

/ TC33DA bogging down #6  
I agree with Egon...check the fuel filter...I have a TC 29D and it sounds like that is your problem and you either have some water in the bowl or need a new filter or both and with your weather that cold that water froze and is blociking your fuel flow...just my guess without being there.

/ TC33DA bogging down #7  
I agree with Egon...check the fuel filter...I have a TC 29D and it sounds like that is your problem and you either have some water in the bowl or need a new filter or both and with your weather that cold that water froze and is blociking your fuel flow...just my guess without being there.

Second this advice.

/ TC33DA bogging down
Have not checked the brakes. Have to get it back to the enclosed area. It is not heated. When starting there is a little black smoke but that goes imediately away and the engine does start very easily as well as runs smooth. There is no conditioner in the fuel. The tractor belongs to a neighbor so I am trying to help her out with this.

/ TC33DA bogging down

Where would I find the bowl? I may just need to look around for it.

/ TC33DA bogging down #10  
Where would I find the bowl? I may just need to look around for it.

The fuel bowl is typically on the side of the engine and has a fule line running from the bottom of the fuel tank on one side and a line running to the injector pump on the other. If you take the bowl off you will have to bleed the air out of the fuel lines before it will restart. The bowl is most of the times a clear or nearly clear and has a fuel filter inside of it. the bowl lets the water separate out of the fuel before it flows through the filter. If it freezes it can plug the filter with ice particles or with water.