NH TB100 Thermostart Question

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #1  

duckngooser

Tractor
New Holland TB100 & Massey Ferguson 3660
Purchased a user TB100 last year. Was under the impression it had the thermostart feature. I know they're plugs in the manifold, but I'm not 100% sure how to tell if they work. I purchased a manual for this tractor as it did not come with one from the dealer. In the manual, it mentioned the key should have 5 positions with the 5th being the starter....It mentioned in position 4 a light should be lit on the dash showing the thermostart working. My switch only has 3 positions with the 3rd being the starter. Any ideas?

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #2  
Purchased a user TB100 last year. Was under the impression it had the thermostart feature. I know they're plugs in the manifold, but I'm not 100% sure how to tell if they work. I purchased a manual for this tractor as it did not come with one from the dealer. In the manual, it mentioned the key should have 5 positions with the 5th being the starter....It mentioned in position 4 a light should be lit on the dash showing the thermostart working. My switch only has 3 positions with the 3rd being the starter. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if you are confusing the glow plugs for the thermostat. A thermostat is in the block where one of the water hoses from the radiator connects. When the engine is warm the thermostat opens all by itself to send water to the radiator.

The light on the dash is typically for the glow plug heating mode. But those are in the heads into the combustion chamber, not the manifold.

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #3  

The Thermostart unit consists of a heated grid, a valve, an electrical connection , and a fuel supply from the injector "return to tank" line. It is screwed into a boss on the intake manifold.

When you attempt to start, you hold the key in between the Run and Start position, and that supplies power to the Thermostart. There is not a detent there for you to feel. The power opens the fuel valve and heats the grid which causes a small flame to heat the intake air.You hold this position for 30-45 seconds and then turn the key to the start position. If the Thermostart is working, the manifold where it's located will get warm.

I've not found mine to be that effective as a cold starting aid and have installed a block heater on a timer for my Ford 4610.

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #4  
The Thermostart unit consists of a heated grid, a valve, an electrical connection , and a fuel supply from the injector "return to tank" line. It is screwed into a boss on the intake manifold.

When you attempt to start, you hold the key in between the Run and Start position, and that supplies power to the Thermostart. There is not a detent there for you to feel. The power opens the fuel valve and heats the grid which causes a small flame to heat the intake air.You hold this position for 30-45 seconds and then turn the key to the start position. If the Thermostart is working, the manifold where it's located will get warm.

I've not found mine to be that effective as a cold starting aid and have installed a block heater on a timer for my Ford 4610.

You can't project the operating instructions for a 25 year old tractor onto a new unit that has no commonality whatsoever. They both may have thermostart, but the control methodology is certain to be different. The fact that the TB has an indicator icon on the dash is a clear giveaway. I am familiar with TN, TL, TS, and TD series New Hollands, but I won't instruct on TB's because I don't know that they aren't different from what I may think.

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #5  
You can't project the operating instructions for a 25 year old tractor onto a new unit that has no commonality whatsoever. They both may have thermostart, but the control methodology is certain to be different. The fact that the TB has an indicator icon on the dash is a clear giveaway. I am familiar with TN, TL, TS, and TD series New Hollands, but I won't instruct on TB's because I don't know that they aren't different from what I may think.

But don't they all fundamentally work the same way?

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #6  
But don't they all fundamentally work the same way?

They do, but my point is, all tractors do not use the Lucas key switch that you provided specific use instructions for. The system is fundamentally the same, the control circuitry varies, as does how to activate thermostart. That is a basic part of the OP's question.

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #7  
They do, but my point is, all tractors do not use the Lucas key switch that you provided specific use instructions for. The system is fundamentally the same, the control circuitry varies, as does how to activate thermostart. That is a basic part of the OP's question.
"I know they're plugs in the manifold, but I'm not 100% sure how to tell if they work".
Respectfully, he also asked how to tell if it was working. Touching the manifold after activating the unit to see if it's warm is one way to do this.

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question #8  
"I know they're plugs in the manifold, but I'm not 100% sure how to tell if they work".
Respectfully, he also asked how to tell if it was working. Touching the manifold after activating the unit to see if it's warm is one way to do this.

We certainly agree on that.

/ NH TB100 Thermostart Question
Great...Thanks for all the input. I'll have to give it a try and see.