2420 left rear wheel fell off

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off #1  

captjack

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 5400
I am asking this for a friend, he was moving snow with his new 2420 and the left rear wheel fell off the machine. When he called the dealer he found out that this has happened to another tractor in the area because they had to order the parts to fix it. This is a new tractor few very few hours on it - the tech came and fixed the wheel and checked the other ones which were all tight.

So ............. has anyone else had this happen ?

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off #2  
Sounds to me like whoever is doing the setup at the dealer needs to be pulled aside......

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off
I have some more info on this ........... There are now three tractors in thr area that this has happened to. The one that my friends owns had rear remotes installed. The left rear wheel would have had to come off to install the remotes.

Our theory is that the tech torqued the wheel to the wrong specs. It is troubling that this has happened to three tractors so far. What we do not know is if they all had remotes installed or if they were all purchased from the same dealer. The dealer fixing my friends tractor is not the dealer that her purchased it from.

More info when i get it.

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off #4  
I had a right front tire deflate under load. Lack of air pressure was the culpret. The left front only had a few pounds in it also. I quickly checked all of them and the bolt torque. Another person I know had a rear wheel seperate from the hub on a larger Deere. It was not tightened to factory specs, came loose and broke the remaining bolts.

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off #5  
Seems lots of folks don't know what torque wrenches were designed to do.

Oh, I'm guilty sometimes myself.

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off
I always refer to the German manual when i look up torque specs

Tighten all to "goodentight"

/ 2420 left rear wheel fell off #7  
I always refer to the German manual when i look up torque specs

Tighten all to "goodentight"

Yeah I'd rather it be a bear to get loose, than fall off when I'm trying to get something done.