3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp

/ 3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp #1  

BondoBuilder

Bronze Member
My tractor was purchased in a state surplus auction by my neighbor; it is actually a 3910H (highway). He painted it the first summer he got it. He did a dandy job painting too... the alternator, filters, hoses, everything.

Anyway I bought the tractor from him three years ago. Since then the alternator has gone dead. With this great paint job, I can't tell ID the alternator he go on this tractor. I was looking on ytmag.com at the alternators. The one for the 3910 is $120 (12 volt 50 amp), and the one for the 3910H is $140 (12 volt 37 amp).

Will I harm anything with the 50 amp?

By the way, is ytmag.com a good company to do business with? Did a search, but couldn't find much??

Thanks in advance!

/ 3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp #2  
that is it's max rating.. your alt rarely runs at max.. the vreg controls voltage and charge current based on load and battery state. just because you have an alt capable of making 50a doesn't mean it sets there making 50a. For instance.. lets say your total electrical load is 18a continous.. both the 37 and 50a alternator would be putting out the 18a.. one would be at 50% load.. the other at only 36%....

now... that's just the electrical part of your question.. I don't know the machine and don't know if the alts asre direct swapable due to size or brackets or wire harness... etc..

soundguy

/ 3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp #3  
Like Soundguy, if the 50 amp will bolt up, do it. It would be better than the 37 anyway you look at it.

/ 3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp
I don't know the machine and don't know if the alts asre direct swapable due to size or brackets or wire harness... etc..

soundguy

Went to the dealer, they'll both mount the same... dealer wanted $322 for the 50 amp. He told me it comes with two complementary jars of Vasaline.

Any thoughts on ytmag.com

/ 3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp #6  
what particularly are you asking about yt? the parts section or the discussion forums?

soundguy

what particularly are you asking about yt? the parts section or the discussion forums?

soundguy

Buying parts from them... any pros and cons of buying them.

/ 3910 3910H Alternator 37 amp vs 50 amp #8  
Buying parts from them... any pros and cons of buying them.

I've bought plenty of things from them over the years. as long as no blizzards are going on, the parts come out pretty fast. On the couple odd occasions where a part was missing from an order, a single phone call got the part shipped out super fast.. many times no extra charge for the part or shipping if it wasn't too much $ for the part.

soundguy

I've bought plenty of things from them over the years. as long as no blizzards are going on, the parts come out pretty fast. On the couple odd occasions where a part was missing from an order, a single phone call got the part shipped out super fast.. many times no extra charge for the part or shipping if it wasn't too much $ for the part.

soundguy

Great to know!