1920 Clutch repair or replace

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #1  

Sawmilllawyer

I enjoy this Forum a great deal and need to inquire from all the knowledgable folks on here about the clutch on my brothers Ford 1920 FWD tractor. Is starting to slip is there an adjustment nut or something or do we need to split the tractor and replace the clutch? The tractor has about 1200 hours on the meter and has been used to do a lot of front end loader work. Any and all reponses in this regard are appreciated. Thanks, Andy

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #2  
I just adjusted the clutch on my 2120 yesterday. If it's the same just follow the clutch under the foot rest and you'll see a shaft with a locking nut on one end and a yoke wiith a pin on the other. Loosen the nut and remove the cotter pin and turn the shaft in till their is 3/4"-1 3/16" free travel. Again, this is on a 2120. At those hours, I would suspect and adjustment is all you need. Probably someone on here would have a manual in pdf. they could send you. I have my 2120 if it would help.

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #3  
I enjoy this Forum a great deal and need to inquire from all the knowledgable folks on here about the clutch on my brothers Ford 1920 FWD tractor. Is starting to slip is there an adjustment nut or something or do we need to split the tractor and replace the clutch? The tractor has about 1200 hours on the meter and has been used to do a lot of front end loader work. Any and all reponses in this regard are appreciated. Thanks, Andy

Andy,

Adjustment does nothing to add life to the clutch disk if indeed reason for slipping is clutch plate surface wear. Adjustment of clutch helps with proper distance required between pressure plate fingers and release bearing. When you change your clutch, you'll probably change your pressure plate as well so scoring on the plate will be not much of concern. On the other hand you don't want the flywheel to score due to slipping of the clutch plate to the point clutch disk rivets are scratching the surface of the flywheel.

I'd adjust the clutch to make sure you are not riding pressure plate fingesr that might be the cause of your clutch slippage. if you are not riding the clutch and have slippage I think it's time for to split the tractor for a new clutch disk install.

JC,

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #4  
Andy,

Adjustment does nothing to add life to the clutch disk if indeed reason for slipping is clutch plate surface wear. Adjustment of clutch helps with proper distance required between pressure plate fingers and release bearing. When you change your clutch, you'll probably change your pressure plate as well so scoring on the plate will be not much of concern. On the other hand you don't want the flywheel to score due to slipping of the clutch plate to the point clutch disk rivets are scratching the surface of the flywheel.

I'd adjust the clutch to make sure you are not riding pressure plate fingesr that might be the cause of your clutch slippage. if you are not riding the clutch and have slippage I think it's time for to split the tractor for a new clutch disk install.

JC,

To be more accurate, clutch disc wear causes the pressure plate operating fingers to move closer to the release bearing. This decreases pedal freeplay and if uncorrected by external linkage adjustments, will continue until all freeplay is eliminated and the release bearing places pressure on the fingers when the pedal is fully released. This condition allows the clutch to slip. If caught early and corrected by adjusting the operating linkage, normal clutch operation can usually be reestablished. Expecting to alow the clutch to slip repeatedly over time and be corrected by adjustment only is optimistic.

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace
Thanks to everyone for their input. Does anyone have a repair manual for the 1920 on PDF?

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #6  
To be more accurate, clutch disc wear causes the pressure plate operating fingers to move closer to the release bearing.

Rick,

I stand partially corrected.:) So in other words since pressure plate housing is bolted on to flywheel there would be no play there. Now a clutch disk with full thickness exerts more pressure to the pressure plate, moving the finger inward toward the flywheel rather than outward? is that correct? I suppose the fingers travel due to disk wear at best might be a few milliliters but never looked at it that way. Thanks for sharing your insight.

JC

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #7  
Rick,

I stand partially corrected.:) Now a clutch disk with full thickness exerts more pressure to the pressure plate, moving the finger inward toward the flywheel rather than outward? is that correct? I suppose the fingers travel due to disk wear at best might be a few milliliters but never looked at it that way.
JC

That's right. The movement of the fingers towards the release bearing (away from the flywheel)as the disc wears is the primary reason that pedal freeplay needs to be repeatedly INCREASED to the proper spec over the life of the clutch. Seldom does one need to decrease pedal freeplay as a normally occurring adjustment.

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #8  
Andy,

. When you change your clutch, you'll probably change your pressure plate as well so scoring on the plate will be not much of concern..

JC,

JC, to replace the whole dual clutch assembly is almost 2K. If mine wears out I will probably only change the clutch disk if every thing else checks out ok. If I had a single clutch I would replace the clutch and pressure plate.
Bill

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #9  
JC, to replace the whole dual clutch assembly is almost 2K. If mine wears out I will probably only change the clutch disk if every thing else checks out ok. If I had a single clutch I would replace the clutch and pressure plate.
Bill

I wondered if you need special jigs or presses to separate out components of dual clutch without damage to pressure plate. It appearers from dual clutch illustration I have seen to be doable job. I know they are pricey , for my single clutch I can buy a reman disk around $80 or the whole thing including release and pilot bearing for around $220. if you ever get around doing it make sure to archive your work. It'll be useful thread like the one you had about lining up rear brake shoes you've done.

JC,

/ 1920 Clutch repair or replace #10  
On the 1920 double clutch, all it takes is a swing gauge mounted on the alignment tool to set the finger height. The gauge and alignment tool are Ford/New Holland service tools that your dealer may loan,rent to you, or order for you to purchase (or none of the above). The pressure plate can be removed from the flywheel and disassembled with common hand tools.