1920 Engine Knock/Thrust Bearing Replacement

/ 1920 Engine Knock/Thrust Bearing Replacement #1  

bklinetob

Just bought a 1993 1920. Has a knock coming from the belhousing area with the clutch pedal out, any gear or neutral. I originally thought (hoped) it was the clutch, so I relined the clutch and replaced the pilot and T/O bearings, but on reassembly, it still has a knock. My only other though is the thrust bearing is worn and by pushing on the clutch i am loading up the thrust bearing (no slop, no knock).

So, I'm hoping to only have to change the thrust bearing, and hoping that I can replace the bearing by dropping the oil pan, pulling the rear bearing cap, spin out the old, spin in the new.

Can anyone comment on if this is true?

The manual shows the rear is a conventional bearing cap, but the thrust bearing is a washer, not a shoulder bearing. It shows the diagram of the washer with a tab to keep it from spinning, but it does not show where that tab engages. If it's on the block side, I'm hosed, but if it's in the cap side, seems like i should be able to get a new one in there without pulling the engine and/or crankshaft.

Thanks

Brian

/ 1920 Engine Knock/Thrust Bearing Replacement #2  
Pretty easy to tell if it a thrust bearing , get onto the flywheel somewhere and lever the the crank fore and aft . If it's well worn you will feel/hear/see it , if only 20 thou or so you will need a dial indicator on the front pulley to measure it .

The tangs will be on the cap .

/ 1920 Engine Knock/Thrust Bearing Replacement
Good Suggestion. I only get .013 with .020 max spec limit.

Guess I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks.

/ 1920 Engine Knock/Thrust Bearing Replacement #4  
Did you check the pressure plate for broken springs or fingers. Do you have a dual clutch? It could also be the bearing on the input shaft of the trans or a broken tooth in the trans. As log as the clutch pedal is out gears in the trans are spinning even in neutral.
Bill

/ 1920 Engine Knock/Thrust Bearing Replacement #5  
Good Suggestion. I only get .013 with .020 max spec limit.

Guess I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks.

After having a bit of a think about it , it might pay to give it another bit of a lever with the thought of a broken crank in mind . Ive seen them crack through the counterweights but stay locked together . The crank can still operate but will have a knock which may quieten when the clutch is depressed .

Did you check the flywheel bolts for tightness when you changed the clutch plate ?