TC35 starting issues

/ TC35 starting issues
I think you did the right thing. Hopefully, your starter will continue to work well for a long time. One of these days, I'll probably have to do the same thing with mine. It sticks on occasion, but always seems to start working after about 5-6 key switch clicks. I think one time I had to try about 10 times, but it caught and worked after that. Tapping on the solenoid has also worked many times for me. Normally mine does this only a couple of times per year, so I haven't had the motivation to pull it apart yet.
How do you get anything in such a tight ares to tap the solenoid? I tried but there is no room. I probably could have used a long bar but I figured I'd take it apart and hopefully have a permanent fix.

Now if the problem is the eletro magnet that engages the solenoid I don't think there is much I can do other then replace it. For the looks of things its cheaper to replace the starter than just the solenoid.

Yesterday I ran it for a couple of hours working around the property. After I shut it off it started right back up. It may be a different story after it sits for a week though.

/ TC35 starting issues #12  
Sounds like your starter and mine are twins. 2110 sometimes clicks a few times then kicks in. I carry a large handle screw drive to tap on the solenoid, but haven't used it much since I change solenoid. I also put in extra large deep cycle/starter battery from Costco. Battery change likely helped the most. Battery was for my trolling motor, so I bought a new one. Plan is to replace all tractor batteries with costco batteries and rotate in new one for trolling motor. Also about same time as new battery , I replace cable with new one. Old cable had a clamp on treminal and copper wire was corroding. Now I will always replace the whole cable.

/ TC35 starting issues #13  
For solutions to your starting problems.
(1) use the search feature
(2) Look for starting problems
(3) Look for postings by steveinmd. There are quite a few postings on this problem.

I was plagued by this problem for a year before installing the relay. It has been over a year now and no further problems with that issue.

/ TC35 starting issues
I tried starting it after work today and it started right up.

I may have gotten lucky for once. Knock on wood.

/ TC35 starting issues #15  
My TC 29 began to act up a couple of years ago; I removed it, disassembled it; cleaned and lubed it, as you did, and I have not had any problems since. I did install the starting circuit relay after cleaning it, just because.

/ TC35 starting issues
Well, I'm a big fan of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think you got-'er-done, hopefully for a long time.:thumbsup:

I'm also a fan. I sure hope its fixed for a good long time. I have too many projects to get done to be worrying if it will start or not.

It seems that when you need the tractor the most Murphy is there to make life more difficult.

I appreciate all of the great advice this site provides. Hopefully I'll be able to give back a little in the future.

Now I just need to find a deal on a root grapple to make things go a little faster.

/ TC35 starting issues
Figured I'd update this since its been awhile. So far so good all is working well. (I'm sure I just jinxed myself).

The tractor has been starting perfectly since I cleaned and lubed the solenoid. Can't get much cheaper than that repair.

/ TC35 starting issues #20  
The tractor has been starting perfectly since I cleaned and lubed the solenoid. Can't get much cheaper than that repair.

I was thinking that you can't get much smarter than that repair, but I know you are just being humble.;)