TC35 starting issues

/ TC35 starting issues #1  

jjbath

Silver Member
Tractor
TC35
I went to start it yesterday and it turned over maybe half a a revolution and the starter quit. My first thought was a dead battery but that was not the case. When I tried starting it I heard a click but I'm not sure if its the solenoid or a relay. I didn't really pay close attention where it was coming from. I tried tapping the solenoid (probably not hard enough) and nothing. So I removed the starter and tried turing it over after removal and it did turn over. Now I'm a little worried that something seized but can't see how that could be the case. I put the starter back in and it started right up.

I haven't tried starting it after using it the last time as the rain won't be stopping until monday. I'm thinking it was a stuck solenoid or a dead spot in the starter. All of the battery cables and starter connections are clean.

Any ideas? I have a feeling the same thing will happen the next time I try starting it.

/ TC35 starting issues #2  
I went to start it yesterday and it turned over maybe half a a revolution and the starter quit. My first thought was a dead battery but that was not the case. When I tried starting it I heard a click but I'm not sure if its the solenoid or a relay. I didn't really pay close attention where it was coming from. I tried tapping the solenoid (probably not hard enough) and nothing. So I removed the starter and tried turing it over after removal and it did turn over. Now I'm a little worried that something seized but can't see how that could be the case. I put the starter back in and it started right up.

I haven't tried starting it after using it the last time as the rain won't be stopping until monday. I'm thinking it was a stuck solenoid or a dead spot in the starter. All of the battery cables and starter connections are clean.

Any ideas? I have a feeling the same thing will happen the next time I try starting it.

It could be something as simple as a sticky neutral safety switch. Next time you have the problem, get out your voltmeter and check the circuit from the key switch to the neutral safety switch, etc through to the solenoid.I'm not familiar with the starting logic in your tractor but some one like RickB who knows these NH's can probably give youmore specific info.

/ TC35 starting issues
It could be something as simple as a sticky neutral safety switch. Next time you have the problem, get out your voltmeter and check the circuit from the key switch to the neutral safety switch, etc through to the solenoid.I'm not familiar with the starting logic in your tractor but some one like RickB who knows these NH's can probably give youmore specific info.

Would I even hear anything clicking if that was the case? I tried moving the lever from forward to reverse while hold the key switch and it didn't turn over.

It did sound like the solenoid was engaging when I turned the key but like I said I didn't look all that close since it did finally start.

Next time I will take some time to pin point the exact source.

/ TC35 starting issues
Ok, I had a chance to look alittle closer since I was in the garage getting the generator setup after the power went out. **** Rain.

Its definitely the solenoid clicking and definitely not the neutral safety switch.

When I try starting it I hear the solenoid engage but the starter doesn't turn. I'm not sure if the problem is the solenoid or the starter.

Tomorrow I will try jumping from the bat directly to the starter to see if it turns over. If not I guess I need to buy a new one. I hope this is not going to end up costing me hundreds to repair.

I was just about to order a 3rd function kit from Everything Attachments now I may need to wait until I figure this out.

/ TC35 starting issues #5  
Its definitely the solenoid clicking and definitely not the neutral safety switch.

When I try starting it I hear the solenoid engage but the starter doesn't turn. I'm not sure if the problem is the solenoid or the starter.

Tomorrow I will try jumping from the bat directly to the starter to see if it turns over. If not I guess I need to buy a new one. I hope this is not going to end up costing me hundreds to repair.

It could be a bad battery cable, or corroded or loose cable connection. Check both ends of both cables. Or, as you are thinking, a bad solenoid or starter.

/ TC35 starting issues
I checked both cables and I don't see even a hint of corrosion. I did remove and clean them but still no dice. So now I will remove the started and try bench testing to see if its the solenoid or starter.

Can I buy just the solenoid?

Wow, I just checked Messicks and they list the starter for over $600 and the Solenoid for over $400. Is it me or does this sound like a ridiculous price for a starter? I could see $200 but $600 thats just crazy.

I hope the local rebuild can help me with this because there is no way I'm paying that for a starter or solenoid.

/ TC35 starting issues
We sell new aftermarket starters complete with solenoids for about half the cost of OEM.
I just did a google search and I found a few on different sites for between $99 and $150 plus shipping. They claim to be new in box. It doesn't say if they are NH or aftermarket. I'd guess the later.

I think I found the problem. I pulled the starter out and tried turning it over and noticed the the starter gear would only move slightly when the solenoid clicked. So I pulled the gear out figuring it was gummed up. Then I tried it again and it started working.

I took the solenoid apart and cleaned it up. There was alot of grit in there that looked to be causing it to bind. I cleaned the contacts with some emery and added a thin film of grease to everything.

Now it seems to be working perfectly. Time will tell if its a long term or short term fix. I'm hoping it will last for at least another year or so.

/ TC35 starting issues #9  
I've had a gummed up starter a couple of times on my Ford 2110. Usually happens after I wash the tractor and park it for a week or two. Fix is to pull starter, clean it and then WD 40. Some one told me not to use WD 40 but it seems to work. I just don't use a lot. Solenoid can be purchase separately at start rebuilder. $30 to $40.

/ TC35 starting issues #10  
Now it seems to be working perfectly. Time will tell if its a long term or short term fix. I'm hoping it will last for at least another year or so.

I think you did the right thing. Hopefully, your starter will continue to work well for a long time. One of these days, I'll probably have to do the same thing with mine. It sticks on occasion, but always seems to start working after about 5-6 key switch clicks. I think one time I had to try about 10 times, but it caught and worked after that. Tapping on the solenoid has also worked many times for me. Normally mine does this only a couple of times per year, so I haven't had the motivation to pull it apart yet.