PTO brake?

/ PTO brake? #1  

AndyG

Silver Member
What is the purpose of the PTO brake on my TC40D? It sure would be nice to be able to turn the shaft so that the splines line up when I attaching my bush hog.

/ PTO brake? #3  
Defiantly for safety. I have an old 830 Case that the pto brake doesn't work on. I was parking the mower which requires setting the front of it up on blocks to keep it high enough to get it on the 3-point. Forgot about the mower coasting and pushed a 6x6x18" or so under the front and the blade knocked it right back out. Scared the crap out of me. Lucky it didn't hit me. Pto brake is a good thing.

Kim

/ PTO brake? #4  
A PTO brake is a safety item, and a necessity on a tractor with a multiple disc wet style PTO clutch that has inherent tendencies to drive when disengaged due to the film of oil between the discs.

All the annoying characteristics of a TC PTO brake are a direct result of the design of the brake. Choosing a spring applied, hydraulic release construction guarantees that whenever the PTO is disengaged, the brake is locked, tractor running or not. A far more user friendly brake design is hydraulically applied. Therefore, when the tractor is shut off, brake pressure is released, and the output shaft can be turned by hand. Another instance of a design engineering team at work with their heads stuffed into a dark smelly place.

/ PTO brake? #5  
I wondered what the consensus is or individual preferences amongst our more experienced operators/owners between;

a) Dual main clutch, live pto and a simple final pto shaft engage /disengage mechanism.

b) Single main clutch with hydraulically activeated PTO clutch pack along with PTO final shaft brake mechanism.

assuming everyone knows Pros/Cons of multi disk wet vs single dry clutch.

JC,

/ PTO brake? #6  
I wondered what the consensus is or individual preferences amongst our more experienced operators/owners between;

a) Dual main clutch, live pto and a simple final pto shaft engage /disengage mechanism.

b) Single main clutch with hydraulically activeated PTO clutch pack along with PTO final shaft brake mechanism.

assuming everyone knows Pros/Cons of multi disk wet vs single dry clutch.

JC,

For me, it's a no-brainer. I'll take independent PTO every time. Even with a PITA brake design like the NH Class III.

/ PTO brake? #7  
For me, it's a no-brainer. I'll take independent PTO every time. Even with a PITA brake design like the NH Class III.

Rick,

Do you know of any independent PTO design out there that does have multiple wet clutch disk but with final pto shaft mechanical coupling that requires a manual engagement. I know that would defeat the advantage of enabling pto as needed , on the fly and in motion.

which pto engagement is more desirable, electrically or hydraulically activated when it come to maintenance?

JC,

/ PTO brake? #8  
Rick,

Do you know of any independent PTO design out there that does have multiple wet clutch disk but with final pto shaft mechanical coupling that requires a manual engagement. I know that would defeat the advantage of enabling pto as needed , on the fly and in motion.

No.

which pto engagement is more desirable, electrically or hydraulically activated when it come to maintenance?

JC,
That depends totally on the quality of the chosen components.

/ PTO brake? #9  
Thanks Rick:)

/ PTO brake? #10  
Hey guys.. couple of other questions.

Have you seen a situation where the PTO brake works okay but there is a bit of blow by hydraulic fluid /pressure that partially engages the pto clutch pack(partially engaging/slipping) to the point that ends up with premature wear and damage to PTO clutch disks? is there any safety /alarm for that condition.

Secondly, has anyone seen a magnetic totally electric pto brake sytem, same as you see on automotive AC compressor magnetic clutch?

Thanks,

JC,