1500 Steering Slop

/ 1500 Steering Slop #1  

old1500

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1500
Okay...I admit...I am suppose to read a service manual first, but I am too lazy...and don't have one....yet. I have about a full round of slack in the steering wheel of my 1980 1500. All the exterior steering components seem tight, tire-rods, ball joints, etc. I "see" and adjustment screw on the right-hand side of the tractor on the steering gear box. If I adjust that....am I going to just blow the tractor up, cause it to not steer at all or push that bolt in enough to move the shaft into better engagement with the other internals?

/ 1500 Steering Slop #2  
Loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt clockwise to reduce play. I woud guess with the amount of play you have you will need more than adjustment.
Bill

/ 1500 Steering Slop
Thanks a bunch Hooked. I have performed this adjustment before on steering boxes in older trucks and cars, but never a tractor. I just wanted to make sure similar results may be achieved and that is why I wanted to hear from some tractor-heads. Maybe...just maybe I can take-up enough slack to get me through another few years. I am sure you know those parts in the steering box get awfully expensive when you have to go in there. Thanks again.