Boomer -MMM Belt adjustment ,914A , 60in.

/ Boomer -MMM Belt adjustment ,914A , 60in. #1  

Dirtball

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I put a new belt on the mower and the adjustment bolt is 2 inches off from the previous setting with the old belt. The 2 in. difference is after I adjusted to the recomended 5 9/16th in spring length on the tension spring. Belt felt too tight after I tried adjusting up to the previous mark I had placed on the adjusting bolt prior to removal. So then I got out the manual and adjusted to their setting. Belt is OEM , same part #. Old belt was 9-10 yrs old. Havent put deck on and warmed up the belt yet at speed. I heard that a good belt shouldnt loosen up with use after fresh install. Anyone been through this? Tractor and deck are 1999 TC33D

/ Boomer -MMM Belt adjustment ,914A , 60in.
Dealer says adjust to spec in book , which is a spring length of 5 9/16in. , maybe after a few runs things will settle out and require an adjustment.

/ Boomer -MMM Belt adjustment ,914A , 60in. #3  
Your dealer is correct. Spring length is the key factor in belt tension. Bolt length is a function of belt length and width. Bolt length is meaningless so long as you can get the correct spring length.

/ Boomer -MMM Belt adjustment ,914A , 60in. #4  
I have the same deck and my belt broke after 20 hrs. When I was installing the new belt, I found that the tensioner had been cranked up all the way from either Mexico or the dealer. My dealer would not cover the cost of the new belt. I made him note the condition on my records in case I have any spindle problems later on.