First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #1  

sksmsllc

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TC48DA 4x4
I just finished my first Project with my new 2004 NH TC 48 DA 4x4 tractor used 8 tractor hours to complete.:D

First used the FEL to make two mineral licks near the two larges food plots with 50lbs each of salt and minerals.

1. Cleared KUDZU from 3 1/2 acres of food plot fields using 6' box blade to push and pull off to the side.

2. Disc with 7' Ford flexo-hitch(lift type j) series 201 over the 3 1/2 acres to prepare for fertilizer and seed. (this took the most time as the fields were in Fescue and I really could have used a plow.)

3. Spread 550lbs of 0-20-20 with Farm Star 3-Pt. Spreader With Gearbox and PTO Driveline Category 0-1, 500-Lb.

4. With the same Spreader -- Spread 5 lbs of Durana Clover mixed with 2lbs of Chicory and 2 lbs of RAPE.

5. Light Disc back over the seed to 1 inch depth.

I did not realize that a machine could give such a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I believe I'm gonna like working with this tractor.

Next: My friend is custom making a 3 row corn planter for the tractor and I'll put 12 rows total of corn on the outside of the Clover Chicory and Rape. Using Monsanto Roundup Ready Corn for the seed. Hope to have this done before May 1st.

My Tree farm plan requires wildlife habitat enhancement as part of the qualification for govt cost share when planting Pines. I will document this effort for the Farm Plan before submitting to program. I also hope to attract and retain more deer on the property for personal hunting also.

Photo show: Mineral Lick; Me with Spreader; got my wife int the act disking the seeds on lower food plot.

Attachments

• Tractor SKS MS LLC 018.jpg
    Tractor SKS MS LLC 018.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 597
  • Tractor SKS MS LLC 019.jpg
    Tractor SKS MS LLC 019.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 714
  • Tractor SKS MS LLC 010.jpg
    Tractor SKS MS LLC 010.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 496
   / First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #2  
That is a cool deal. You have a great project and it requires the use of a tractor.

Double cool!

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #3  
You have yourself a sweet tractor! The more you use it, the more you will appreciate its capabilities.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #4  
Well Adam, it looks like you really have it working for you.:) I'm glad everything has worked out and you are very pleased with your tractor. With the amount of acreage you have, you will never be out of a job for it.

BTW: Be sure and grease up that loader well and regrease it once or twice daily around the bucket pivots if doing primarily loader work. That will keep it tight for many years.:thumbsup:

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4
Thanks Jinman! What type of grease and where do I put it?

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #6  
I just use lithium EP grease that can be bought almost anywhere. The fittings I grease twice a day are the four fittings on the linkage and arms that attach to the bucket (4 on each side), especially the pivot at the end of the loader arm. The fittings halfway up the arms and the ones at the loader posts I grease only once per day and use only a small amount of grease.

If you look on the inside of your quick-attach adapter, you sill see a fitting on each side that greases your quick-attach plunger/lock for the bucket. If you keep those greased, your release levers will work much easier.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #7  
Grease is probably like motor oil, everyone has their favorite. When I got the tractor, I researched the type of grease to use and, as a result, I use a moly fortified grease for the loader and BH. I grease, as the owners manual suggests, every 8 hours of use.
Castrol USA - Castrol Contractor Special

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #8  
The New Holland recommended grease is "High Viscosity Lithium Base - NLGI #2" and there are many manufacturers. Amsoil is just one of many. Castrol also makes a lithium based grease described in the link Hematite provided. I'm not saying that Moly-grease is not acceptable, but just that it is not listed in New Holland's table of recommended lubricants.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4 #9  
New Hollland does makes moly fortified grease (GR-75MD) for loader and BH lubrication. Oddly, not a lot of NH dealers seem to carry it because I had to have my dealer order it in. The moly fortified greases are lithium complex. Note that the regular lithium grease that NH markets is recommended for general lubrication whereas the moly fortified is for heavily loaded, slow moving pins.
As long as the tractor grease points are lubed on a regular basis, wear will be kept to a minumum using any quality grease.

/ First Tractor Project Complete in 8 tractor hours NH TC48 DA 4x4
The New Holland recommended grease is "High Viscosity Lithium Base - NLGI #2" and there are many manufacturers. Amsoil is just one of many. Castrol also makes a lithium based grease described in the link Hematite provided. I'm not saying that Moly-grease is not acceptable, but just that it is not listed in New Holland's table of recommended lubricants.

Okay, I'm going to apply the grease with my fingers correct? Or is there a grease gun that I apply to nipples like on my car? Would you recommend purchase of 35lbs lug or 14oz cart rage? With as often as I'll need to grease I wonder if it would be best to bite the bullet and order 35lbs or more? Would I use the same grease on the 3 point hitch (the center hitch that screws to had adjust) or would I just get a spray can of lithium based lube? Sorry for so many questions but I would like to get this right.

Adam