TC35 PTO quit turning

/ TC35 PTO quit turning #1  

parcrotcart

I hope this turns out to be a simple fix! I bought this 2005 TC35 about 6 months ago and it has been a joy to use. It came with a Bush Hog brand FEL and backhoe,a box blade, rotary cutter and auger. I hooked up the rotary cutter and tried it out but never used it till now. After about a 1/4 acre, I hit an ant pile and the PTO quit turning. It makes a slight grumbling noise when I disengage it for just a second. If I engage it and leave it a few seconds, it will make this same noise when I disengage. Anyone have any idea how bad this might be. It's sunday, so I'll have to wait till tommorrow to call the dealer..........but right now I'm not a big NH fan. I'll update on the situation a it progresses. :mad:

/ TC35 PTO quit turning #2  
I hope this turns out to be a simple fix! I bought this 2005 TC35 about 6 months ago and it has been a joy to use. It came with a Bush Hog brand FEL and backhoe,a box blade, rotary cutter and auger. I hooked up the rotary cutter and tried it out but never used it till now. After about a 1/4 acre, I hit an ant pile and the PTO quit turning. It makes a slight grumbling noise when I disengage it for just a second. If I engage it and leave it a few seconds, it will make this same noise when I disengage. Anyone have any idea how bad this might be. It's sunday, so I'll have to wait till tommorrow to call the dealer..........but right now I'm not a big NH fan. I'll update on the situation a it progresses. :mad:
When you said the PTO quit turning, is that with the rotary cutter still attached or with no implement connected. Makes a big difference as to the fix.

/ TC35 PTO quit turning #3  
Welcome to TBN!

I'm guessing from your description that the PTO quit turning when you hit the anthill and it has not turned since. I'd be inclined to say that you've done nothing more than pop a shearpin at the mower gearbox end of the PTO as is supposed to happen with a rotary cutter that doesn't have a safety slip clutch installed. The noise you hear is the shaft rotating inside the collar, a sound most of us experienced rotary cutter users are far too familiar with. You probably need to line up the hole in the outer collar with the broken shear pin section that is left in the inner shaft and drive out the piece with a punch. Then, you can use a 1/2" grade 2 soft bolt, 4" long to replace the shear pin.

If your PTO shaft at the rear of the tractor is not turning and it makes noise even when you have your cutter disconnected, then you have a problem with the tractor, but if the noise is the cutter due to a broken shear pin, welcome to the wonderful world of rotary cutters.;)

/ TC35 PTO quit turning
Nickle plate, that is with the rotary cutter still attached. I'll take it off this evening after work and see what it does. It always has turned even when off and no implement, but with the cutter in place, it would turn very slowly. (pto brake?) Jinman, I wish it were a shear pin on the rotary cutter! Thanks for the replys. JD

/ TC35 PTO quit turning #5  
It does sound like a PTO clutch/brake problem. You never know for sure when you buy a tractor just how somebody else operated it. The NH clutch/brake will last a long time if the engine rpm is lowered and the the PTO engaged slowly or disengaged with the engine rpm at 1000. Mine has lasted over 1600 hours without the slightest hint of a problem. I run a rotary cutter and tiller a lot.

The good news about the PTO clutch is that it can be replaced without major tractor disassembly. There's no need to split the tractor, rather only the 3PH assy is removed and the PTO clutch/brake repaired. I hope it's not required, but if the shaft is not turning at full speed and power, then you have to suspect the clutch. There's an outside chance that the valve is not sending enough flow to the clutch to keep it engaged, but that is a pretty remote chance. A trip to your dealer's service department will tell you what you need to know.

/ TC35 PTO quit turning
UPDATE: It doesn't turn even without anything attached. It makes a grumbling sound erraditly, like every 15 to 30 seconds. I'll have to get a manual when I can and see how hard this is gonna be.:mad:

/ TC35 PTO quit turning #7  
You'll also want to replace the shear pin or adjust the slip clutch on the rotary cutter. Hitting the ant hill should have sheared a pin or slipped the clutch on the implement rather than sending the force inside the tractor.

/ TC35 PTO quit turning #8  
Just to let you know, I may have made a mistake earlier when I said the tractor doesn't have to be split. My manual says the differential has to be separated from the rear transmission. That's not where you normally split a tractor, but it does require that separation according to my manual. However, if you remove your seat assy and look below it, you will see the PTO valve sitting on top of an access plate with 12 bolts. The PTO clutch is directly below the plate. If you remove the plate and valve, there are two tubes with o-ring seals that separate when you lift the plate. With this plate removed, you should be able to inspect the clutch, but you may not be able to see any specific damage without removing it completely.

And yes, you do need to get a maintenance manual if you intend to do this job by yourself.

/ TC35 PTO quit turning
Thanks Jim, I'll try to look at it this week......but right now, I'm not liking me some NH!