ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir.

/ ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir. #1  

2dawoodz

Bronze Member
Went to top off the power steering reservoir with some UTF on a friend's 1920 and saw the reservoir was filled with ATF. Should I drain and refill with UTF or just top off with ATF Type IV?:confused:

/ ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir. #2  
Went to top off the power steering reservoir with some UTF on a friend's 1920 and saw the reservoir was filled with ATF. Should I drain and refill with UTF or just top off with ATF Type IV?:confused:

I think the key phrase here is "a friend's 1920." I believe I'd check with my friend. Also, if it wasn't very low, not leaking, and PS is working fine, I'd probably just leave it as is. If you are helping your friend do service on his tractor, then I'd suggest draining and refilling the reservoir. The problem with that is if the PS reservoir on a 1920 is like mine, it is also a filter. Probably the only way you can get rid of the wrong fluid completely is to replace the filter or drain and replace the fluid several times.

All of my comments are based on what I know about my TC45D. I don't know for sure that transmission fluid is not an okay substitute, but I don't think I've ever heard of using it on a New Holland.

/ ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir.
My friend has previously had someone service his tractor, so he has not idea why the ATF was used. I called the guy that performed the service and he said he used ATF in his verhicles power steering units so he figured it was ok in tractors.

I'll check the manual to see if a filter exists and replace along with the ATF. Thanks!

/ ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir. #4  
I'll check the manual to see if a filter exists and replace along with the ATF. Thanks!

I looked up the 1920 power steering online. The reservoir is identical to mine. It's a reservoir and filter combined. You have to replace the whole thing. The part number is SBA360101470 and is about $106, very expensive. Here is a diagram that shows it, item #5.

Attachments

• nhimage[1].gif
    nhimage[1].gif
    40 KB · Views: 970
   / ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir.
I looked up the 1920 power steering online. The reservoir is identical to mine. It's a reservoir and filter combined. You have to replace the whole thing. The part number is SBA360101470 and is about $106, very expensive. Here is a diagram that shows it, item #5.

Ouch! I'll see what my friend wants to do. We'll probably just roll with the ATF. What site did you obtain this schematic?

Thanks again jinman!

/ ATF instead of UTF in Power Steering Reservoir. #6  
The diagram is from the "parts" section of messicks.com. Click on the New Holland emblem and then type in 1920 in the model number block. Select and search for the 1920 and then pick the front axle and steering section. Expand that section and look for the power steering pump sub-section.

I can tell you that I would not want to leave ATF in my system. If it will damage seals or the pump, the repairs could be costly. I'd drain the reservoir and remove it. I'd also try to drain the power steering cylinder. I would suggest trying to flush out the reservoir/filter, but I have no idea what to use to clean it out. I think the best way to proceed is to drain out all the ATF you can and replace it with NH 134D fluid. After several days of operation, maybe drain and refill the reservoir again to get as much ATF out as possible. When I said to leave the ATF in before, it was kinda tongue-in-cheek because I thought your buddy might not care. If he is concerned and will not do something silly like that in the future, then I'd definitely try to help him get his system back to the right fluid and also let him deal with the guy who messed it up in the beginning. Even cars have gone to using special fluids instead of ATF in the power steering systems.