New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #131  
"It'll turn but not fast enough and it seems to turn a cycle and then pause, turn and pause but never any real kick. "

How does your starter compare to this YouTube (video) ?

I always thought mine turned over too slow, then I happened to catch a couple video's and figured mine must be fine.
When I got mine, it wouldn't fire up for nothing. Turned out to be the thumb screws on the glo-plugs had loosened up during it's 250 mile trip on the trailer.

-Neil

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #132  
Nope. I've been there done that and wish it would respond like it use to. Unless I missed something I didn't see anything on Utube to help. Was there more than one showing? All I saw was some kid loading dirt in a trailer and his initial slow start.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #133  
When you had the glow plugs out did you try turning it over? The slow-then-fast starter bothers me. Is it each revolution of the crankshaft? Every other? One cyl getting no fuel, so not helping? A mechanical bind at the starter/ ring gear?
Let us know what you learn. And good luck with the mechanic.
Jim

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #134  
Allee, I just looked back at the earlier posts and see you had pretty much all of the components tested. Sure does sound like a ground issue. If it's the stock configuration, the battery bolts to the battery tray which bolts to the sub-frame which bolts to the block and finally a couple more bolts at the starter. Any corrosion or loose bolts at these points will definitely cause problems.

Have you tried clamping a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the block near the starter? Also, the frame to block bolts are known to loosen over time (and should be re-torqued periodically). The frame on mine was cracked clean through on one side and all of the bolts were loose on the other when I got it.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #135  
Evidently I was simply low on motor oil!

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #136  
Low on oil enough to cause binding when operating the starter does not sound good. There should have been residual oil on the moving parts so you wouldn't notice any binding. I think you're going to want to be alert to smoking or bearing problems for a while. Best of luck with it.
Jim

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #137  
Thanks. My preventive maintenace needs to be tweeked to the progressive side.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #138  
Don't know if your 1700 is like the 1100 I got recently, but they're in the same family. When I heat the glow plugs on mine, there's a hole in the "dash" right next to the ignition switch. I thought a switch had been broken off and not replaced. But you look in the hole as you're turning the key to the left for the glow plugs and there's a coil in the hole you can see start to glow to show you the circuit is working.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #139  
That glow filament is in series in glow plug circuit. It can act like a very slow acting. should it burn and your glow plug system has an open causing not to work. Simple solution is to tie two black wire under the glow plug indicator pictured below, turn the ignition key to the left and count to 20. My glow plug indicator works but I hardly look at it as I'm the delay relay for the circuit.

JC,

DSC06087-1.jpg

DSC09680.jpg

Don't know if your 1700 is like the 1100 I got recently, but they're in the same family. When I heat the glow plugs on mine, there's a hole in the "dash" right next to the ignition switch. I thought a switch had been broken off and not replaced. But you look in the hole as you're turning the key to the left for the glow plugs and there's a coil in the hole you can see start to glow to show you the circuit is working.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #140  
Help! I'm always in a fix and always asking for help so..... I will continue. There's a sensor on the lower back right side of the block. What is that sensor? My wiring is in pretty bad shape and this wire is broken off at about three inches. Any idea? Also, I replaced the voltage regulator but have no idea of where to find a male wire plug for when I replace the worn wires. Most of my connectors are worn, I suspect chewed away by mice, and I should replace all of them. Where can I find connectors? Thanks