Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Default Re: New to tractors ford 1700 question.

Quote Originally Posted by Allee View Post
    There's a sensor on the lower back right side of the block. What is that sensor?

You need to be a bit more descriptive than that? any pics.

it's like going to doctor and saying I'm hurting doc and Dr. says where? how? Can you show me ? and the patient say .. I don't know !!!.. You're the doctor!!!!

JC,

PS, all you have on the right of the engine block is the analog oil sending unit.
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1700 4WD, Iseki TS1700

I'm not too good w/digitals cameras so I'll ask the expert, my wife, for help. It kind of looks like the oil pressure sensor on the old chevy engines. I' dating myself. I've look through all of my manuals and find no reference.

Tractor

I'm not too good w/digitals cameras so I'll ask the expert, my wife, for help. It kind of looks like the oil pressure sensor on the old chevy engines. I' dating myself. I've look through all of my manuals and find no reference.
    How about this ? The device that the wire is connected left of the dipstick is the oil sending unit.

JC,

Ford 1700, 2wd.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Bronze Member
    Tractor

That's the one! Now, the wire from the sending unit goes to the terminal connector that goes to the indicator lamp plug to the idiot lights and gauge on the dash. Right? Wooh! I think I'm making process. Next, the ground wires attached to the fuel tank carriage, what are they for? One looks like a ground for the head-lights and the other the tail-lights !? I'm not electrically inclined so it's only a guess. Get this all arranged and I'm ready to put the fuel tank back on. Well almost, any clue of where to find replacement wire plug/connectors (whatever they're called)? Most of mine are all nibbled up. Thanks for your help. I just might get there!

Tractor

Wooh! I think I'm making process. I'm not electrically inclined so it's only a guess. Get this all arranged and I'm ready to put the fuel tank back on. Well almost, Thanks for your help. I just might get there!

That's the one! Now, the wire from the sending unit goes to the terminal connector that goes to the indicator lamp plug to the idiot lights and gauge on the dash. Right?

1)Yes it does, Look at the pdf attachment for wiring diagrams. There is no other device in series with pressure sending unit.

Next, the ground wires attached to the fuel tank carriage, what are they for? One looks like a ground for the head-lights and the other the tail-lights !?

2) not enough info , picture might help. Not descriptive enough. Suggest to follow the wires to see where they land, compare color coding against the wiring diagram to figure it out. Need to be a bit electrically inclined to diagnose.

any clue of where to find replacement wire plug/connectors (whatever they're called)? Most of mine are all nibbled up.

3) You'll have a very hard time to find exact connectors and if you did you still need to solder/connect somehow to existing wire harness. Suggest you mark wires very carfefully on both side of the connector, tag, identify, take picture or take notes that is necessary to duplicate connection. I'd then splice wire using wire nut, crimped connection or solder and heat shrink the splices. That will take much patience but would give you the best solid reconnection of wires.

JC,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ford 1700, 2wd.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Solder and shrink-wrap! Sounds like a plan. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

By "Shrink wrap" I meant "Heat shrink tubing".

Tractor

Male sure to put the the shrink tube over one side of wire first, overlap twist the exposed copper for a low profile, bit of a flux and a thin layer of solder and heat shrink. That would be a very solid connection.

JC,

By "Shrink wrap" I meant "Heat shrink tubing".
    Ford 1700, 2wd.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Well I thought I had it all figured out but I don't. I tried to fix my wiring again and I've really turned things up-side-down. The alternator light wouldn't go off and when I pulled the fuel tank I found two loose black wires with clips on the ends, one each from the alternator and oil pressure idiot lights. I connected the clips to the fuse box (I can't find where they attach from the wiring diagram) but when I put it all back together everything seemed fine. Because my battery was dead I gave it a boost, it started great, and the idiot lights went off. Horray!!! I ran it around awhile to flush the radiator but when I tried to start it again the idiot lights wouldn't light and the battery was still dead. I gave it another jump and the tractor started easily but there were no idiot lights not even when I turned the key to the left for warm-up. Now what do I do? My wife of course has her chorus of "I told you so's" and now she's singing that she's going to have to buy me a new tractor. With what... her good looks? HELP
    Last edited by Allee; 02-28-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add a word

Tractor

Well I thought I had it all figured out but I don't. I tried to fix my wiring again and I've really turned things up-side-down. The alternator light wouldn't go off and when I pulled the fuel tank I found two loose black wires with clips on the ends, one each from the alternator and oil pressure idiot lights. I connected the clips to the fuse box (I can't find where they attach from the wiring diagram) but when I put it all back together everything seemed fine. Because my battery was dead I gave it a boost, it started great, and the idiot lights went off. Horray!!! I ran it around awhile to flush the radiator but when I tried to start it again the idiot lights wouldn't light and the battery was still dead. I gave it another jump and the tractor started easily but there were no idiot lights not even when I turned the key to the left for warm-up. Now what do I do? My wife of course has her chorus of "I told you so's" and now she's singing that she's going to have to buy me a new tractor. With what... her good looks? HELP
    Did you check the fuse box to see if any of fuses were burnt caused by incorrect wiring terminations. I don't live on my property where my tractor is and all the pics I have is out of my files when I repaired or checked things out so can not give you "play -by -play" of each individual wires. That wiring diagram is your best bet. I have a few unterminated wires in my cluster as well that might have been associated with some option that I don't have. I have not figured out what they are as my electrical system works like it should, so landing each lose wire might not be the right approach as you might add more complication.

JC,

Ps. I would jump at the opportunity if your wife is offering to buy you a tractor while the going is good and she has not changed her mind. That would give yo ample time to fix your 1700 by studding electrical system and learning basic diagnostic methods.
    Ford 1700, 2wd.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast