New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #151  
Thank you on all accounts. She's especially upset because I did buy an additional tractor. I also have an Iseki without a loader and attachments other than a rototiller. Works like a champ. When she refers to tractors that's "Her" tractor.

I thought about checking the fuses last night as I was pondering what else to do so I'll check that today. I've disconnected most other wires as you've suggested. Its just that the idiot light wires are pig-tailed and one diagram shows a wire going from the voltage regulator to the charge lamp and the other wire goes from the oil pressure sending unit to the oil lamp. After the lamps, the pig-tail wires have female connectors and are just long enough to reach the fuse box. So, that's where I connected them. The diagram shows what I detect is the "w/r" wire off the regulator going to the instrument plug (I have none) so I direct wired it to one side of the charge lamp, none plug, connection. The oil sending wire is "y/b" and goes from the oil pressure switch to the idiot light. So, all I'm left with is the "b" wire noted on the diagram. What is it and where is it? It shows that it's a "r/b" wire connected to the "w/b" wire from the IG on the regulator which connected with the "w" wire on the regulator to go to the fuse box. Am I loosing you?

Again I'll check the fuses but again I'm getting no charge to the battery. I'm buying an amp meter this morning and maybe that will help with the diagnosis. I've checked for current most everywhere else but I guess I'm not done.

I rented a trailer to take it to the shop but with it not running, the bucket down and too wide of a ramp I was unsuccessful. I couldn't drag it or push it enough to get it loaded and when I was almost there it fell off the ramps. I finally gave up. My wife of course asks me why didn't I call a wrecker. Rrrrr! Well at least now it's running and I can use it, it's just that it drains the battery and constantly needs a jump. Back to square one. Maybe I'll just throw in the towel and call a mechanic... again.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #152  
Hey! Hey! I finally got there. Or should I say we. A buddy came over the other day and we got out the diagram you sent and just started pulling wires and trying to find where they led. We spent a good amount of time on it and found whoever worked on it last took a number of short-cuts. It was a real chore trying to find which wires went where and found the diagram a little confusing. I had also picked up a diagram from the tractor supply and it was real bad but seemed to fill in where the other was lacking. Thanks for the assistance. I really appreciate all on tractorbynet.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #153  
Thanks. I need to replace the screen but have also wondered about screening the whole area, maybe building a basket in front of the battery leading back to and encompassing the front of the radiator. Maybe a little too much work but I'd like to install something to keep it especially clean. I flushed the radiator the last time I had it running and I'm pleased that it seems to have worked so well. I had also replaced the thermostat but it made little difference until I totally flushed the system.

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #154  
Is the larger straight slot screw just above the drain to check the oil level to the fuel pump? What kind of oil should I use?

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #155  
Produtools.com is it worth my time to download? Any security problems?

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #156  
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #157  
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #158  
The website showed up at the top of tractorbynet page and I was wondering what it contained and had others subscribed.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #159  
I may have already asked this and I may have tried a source or two but I need a tach/hr meter for my 1700. The cable twisted on mine and broke the needle off the dial. I had just purchased the cable so it was brand new but the tach must have been stuck. Any advice?

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #160  
I may have already asked this and I may have tried a source or two but I need a tach/hr meter for my 1700. The cable twisted on mine and broke the needle off the dial. I had just purchased the cable so it was brand new but the tach must have been stuck. Any advice?

Alee,

Are you sure the the tach is stuck? have you put the new cable in and try to turn the opposite side by hand to verify if it is stuck? I have not opened mine but making or putting a anew needle is not a major thing if the glass can be taken off without further damage. Is the needle broken or it just came off? Your problem is the oil pressure and alt dumb lights are integral part of the assembly so if you just put a tach there then you have to remote oil and alt to a different location by knocking out a hole or two in the dash. I myself took one of the hole that had a plug in and put a $2 switch in lieu of high $$ NH flasher switch. You need to buy new or used oem meter or what I suggested above.

JC,