How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000

/ How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000 #1  

jascott

I am trying to remove the lift cover off of a 71' 3000 gas tractor. My goal is to replace the filters as we are having problems lifting the 3 pt. I've removed the seat, accessory cover, and all the bolts to the cover. It is stuck on...

Is there a trick to this? I don't want to force anything between the lift cover and rear differential, and I'm afraid of hammering on it too much...

I was thinking of using a floor jack and 2x4 on the right side under the lift arm and raising...

Am I missing something here?

4536931868_f19b175f81_o.jpg

4536931630_3ed1cbbb7c_o.jpg

4536297577_f468f35f63_o.jpg

4536297351_eca34366e0_o.jpg

Last edited:
   / How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000 #2  
I know you've posted this elswhere.. but here goes again.

bottle jack, piece of 2x4, and jack up under a lift arm.

soundguy

/ How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000
I know this is posted in two places... Looking for all the help I can get...

I got the cover off and have a few questions.

1. The hydraulic return tube seems to have broken off from its mounting tab. I am not sure if this happened while disassembly or if this is part of the problem. Assuming it did not just break, what are the chances this is the cause of the erratic, slow jerky, 3 pt operation? The New Holland place that did look at the tractor said it was only measuring 100 or so PSI from the pump. I don't know how they tested it though.

2. There is a small tube which runs towards the bottom of the sump. It is not connected to anything. What is this?

3. How do I remove the suction filter? I have disconnected the mounting bracket for it and I can pull the tube free from the sump's side wall, but the PTO shaft (or something) runs over it... Do I have to pull this shaft? Is there an easier way to do this? The filter doesn't look too bad... Should I even mess wih it?

Thanks for all the help.

4539483992_825703d64a_o.jpg

4539483422_7251e83f11_o.jpg

4539481920_fc0864229b_o.jpg

4538849745_20f34a6b05_o.jpg

/ How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000 #4  
those will have to be answered by rickb or someone whos had hands inside a similar machine. i'm much less familiar with the 65+ models.

soundguy

I've got the suction filter and tube out. I ended up removing the pto shaft and the pto engagement lever. I've ordered a bunch of parts and will see what happens when they all go back together.

Thanks for all the help.

/ How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000 #6  
are you sure that tube is suction tube? it pretty small diameter to be a suction line. It might be a return back to the sump from a control valve ? remote? If it were suction then it should be completely flooded. that tube is bypassing the filter as well. Rick will have the answer.

JC,

The suction tube crosses the sump and has a metal mesh filter on it. I have that one out and a new one on order.

I will be replacing the suction and return tubes/filters as well as the o-rings for them. I'll be putting on all new orings and gaskets for the lift cover and the lift cylinder. I'll also be replacing a broken spring which I found in the sump.

I am hopful that the hydraulic problems I was/am having are related to what I have found. I think that the return was sending fluid directly into the sump with such force that it was frothing the fluid causing the system to not work properly. Wishful thinking anyway.

I won't have the parts until the end of next week...

/ How To Remove Lift Cover - Ford 3000 #8  
The broken off tube looks like hydrolic intake tube and if you reach down to the bottom and toward back of tractor you should find a metal inlet filter.
I have loaned out my repair manual so I can not give you the correct name but if your three paoint is slow or does not move, there is a poportioning valve in the housing you took off that has an oring on it. This oring will stick in the bore and stop equelization of the bottom piston that redirects fluid to the three point. About 3/4 inch in diamiter. If I can get my manual with diagrams I may be more discriptive to location of piston and oring. Sorry I can't remeber more without diagrahm.

Thanks for the reply. The intake line/filter is a much larger tube and shown on the right side. You can see the metal mesh filter with the mount tab there.

I'll try and find the proportioning valve and order a new o-ring for it.

Thanks,
Jim

Its mostly back together, but I was able to run it and check for operation. The 3pt now raises smoothly and quickly!

I replaced the suction and return filters, a few other small broken parts, and installed new orings. I didn't mess with the relief valves, or anything else. I did bleed the system at the pump. I did make a "bracket" to hold the return tube in place. I bought an aftermarket "tube", but it didn't fit right. The New Holland part was over $200.

Couple of points for others...
-Use a 2x4 and floor jack under the lift arms to break the lift cover free from the sump.
-You must remove the PTO shaft and PTO shift fork to get the suction filter out.
-Check all the o-rings. I had several missing, and I don't think this tractor has ever been opened up like the before.

Thanks for all the help!

4565722694_29cc30b5c3_o.jpg

4565722348_30b3130ce4_o.jpg

4565722090_6f072330ca_o.jpg

4565721732_fcf692cd6f_o.jpg