Ford 1500 Steering Slop

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #1  

old1500

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1500
I launched an investigation into some excess slack in the steering on my late-80-early-81 1500. I purchased the little monster used and don't have much history, other than it was set-up with a belly mower at one time. I suspect commercial mowing or golf course work. Anyway...when I turn the steering wheel I notice the cross-shaft "moves" laterally when I apply wheel pressure. The drawings do not indicate any bearing in the housing, so I suspect either shaft wear or wear on the surfaces of the load deck where the shaft protrudes. There is some reference to a "bushing" in the load deck, which I would rather not pay the hundreds of $$$ being asked for the part. The drawing does not show this bushing as an individual part.

I think the same system was used on the 1300 through 1700 models, but I also have discovered they changed the part numbers in 83 for the cross shaft.

No...I have not pulled it apart. It works like it is and I do not want to tear it apart and then discover I need a part I can't find. I would rather try the forum here to see if anyone has any experience with the shaft or load deck replacement....or a busing not shown in the load deck.

I could have a machinist install a bushing for much less money that they want for a new one.

ANY HELP OUT THERE????

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #2  
I DO see thrust bearings in that box

upper is:

SBA334290710 BEARING ASSY

lower is:

SBA334290131 BEARING ASSY

21 and 4 on the CNH drawing of the manual box..

thurst bearing play wil magnify any other play.

I see there is also a sctor backlash adjustment for the sector gear to ballnut.

it's a bummer that there appears to be no sector shaft bushing.. if you are getting the sector shaft to move fore / back before beginning rotational movement.. the shaft or housing is wore.. however.. I bet a machinist could bore and install a bushing.. or weld and cut a new bore, ore reface the shaft if it is worn on the seal diameter.

soundguy

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop
We are on the same page there Soundguy. I had discovered in the 83 model year they installed a bushing, but the 79-82 models do not have the bushing. The 83 carries a different part number. As opposed to springing for the $576 for an 83 part....I feel just like you do and a good machinist should be able to install a bushing and take out that slack. I have adjusted the backlash and made a "tiny" difference, but I am pretty sure I have serious case/housing wear. The seal appears to be holding the lubricant in place, as there is no leak, but I have a"visible" amount of fore-n-aft movement.

I don't plan to tear it down until later this fall. All I do is a little rotary cutter work to keep my roads open across the place and drag a trailer around the for firewood cutting, etc.

I appreciate the discussion....you sound like a man that knows what he is doing. You know how it is when you want something....I think I was looking for a reply like...."hey man...I got a brand new one of those in a box for $100". I know.....that would be a pie-n-the-sky response.

BTW....I have kids and grand-kids over there (barely) in Florida.....Pensacola that is.

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #4  
manual gearboxes are easy.. I don't mind them at all... now power steering boxes on the other hand.. I don't like to mess with them, and thus have less experience or advice on them.. I don't like taking the blocks apart with the thousands of springs and balls and whatnot in them and then trying to get it all back together like a chinese fire drill.. :)

you might check with a salvage yard like wengers of pa to see if you can get a late style box.. and that way if it needs rebuilding, it's already cut for a bushing.. that or as mentioned.. bore and bush.

if the seal lets go before you decide on a repair method, go buy some NLGI 00# grease ( jd cornhead grease is an example ).. and pump the gearbox full.. the grease is sticky and will flow to fill voids after it sets... that are many many old mower gear boxes and old tractor steering boxes filled with 00# grease.

In fact.. I have a copy of a ford service bulletin from 1962 stating to fill ford manual steering boxes with grease to prevent sector seal leaks . ( bulletin number 100 ( 1237 ) dated 10-31-1962 )

soundguy

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #5  
I just replaced the steering box on my 1700 (pretty much the same as 1500 I think - many parts will interchange) with power steering. Prior to that, I replaced the oil plug with a reducing bushing to adapt to a grease zerk fitting.
Worked well.
Bob

Last edited:
Soundguy made the same suggestion....grease I mean. Either mine is not losing any fluid or has none left in it as I have no leaks around the shaft seal.

At's what I plan to do....if it's dry. I'll pump it full of grease until I have the time to rip it apart and have the case fixed or replaced.

I have a little "slack" in several places around the front end and maybe when I work on some of that, I can take out enough slack to last until me or the tractor are "done in".

I have noticed a good bit of lateral axle movement in the axle-to-frame connection. I think there are some bushings or spacers in those two connecting points (front side and back side). I have not pulled any of that and it may do as much (or more) good that fooling with the steering box. I can't get the front side to take any grease...so that probably indicates something, as in it never was greased before!

ANYBODY EVER BEEN IN THERE?

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #7  
FYI. Steering column and housing gets ford 134 fluid rather than grease.

JC,

steeringf1700.jpg

Understood there JC, but I think the purpose of putting the 00 grease in there is when the seal is leaking due to shaft/housing wear. Soundguy (above) has a reference to an old service bulletin. I realize it's dated a bit, but I suppose if you can't keep fluid in there....the grease may stay put until the case/shaft can be repaired. Heck.....I ain't even checked mine to see if it has anything in there anyway.....talk about lazy....that's me now and then.

Obviously, I don't use my tractor on a routine basis or to make a living.

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #9  
sure.. in a new tight box.. 134.. in one that leaks.. 00# grease. the old bulleting I have is dated 62.. so way before this 'new' machine.. but the basics of a mechanical worm shaft/sector steering box hasn't changed any..

soundguy

/ Ford 1500 Steering Slop #10  
sure.. in a new tight box.. 134.. in one that leaks.. 00# grease. the old bulleting I have is dated 62.. so way before this 'new' machine.. but the basics of a mechanical worm shaft/sector steering box hasn't changed any..

soundguy

I agree and have no issue with the statement at all. How would rate thick solidified grease in the box in northern winter climate.

JC,