I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor

/ I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor #1  

rayikeo2

Platinum Member
I am seeing a big differance in responses posted here and those posted in the JD Lawn & Garden forums. So I thought I would try here for a John Deere mower problem as I know I am not the only person that owns some of each brand and I have seen some familiar names over there with posts.
My LX279 lawn tractor has a run problem. It runs after starting with full choke on and will continue to run with about 1/2 choke, but will die when the choke is released. I don't know if it is a carb/ fuel tank problem or possible a fuel pump problem. The fuel pump is only 2 years old, replaced it when I had a similar problem. I have been mowing with wet grass because of all the rain. It ran good then slowly starting to act like cold starts, I had to warm up longer before engageing the mower. Then it died a couple times like it was out of gas but still had 2 gal in tank, I have new gas cap. Now it won't run without choke 1/2 on. Tried different gas and there was no change. Blew air back from gas filter to tank and it wasn't plugged. Put new hose from & filter to carb. I am leaning toward dirt in carb, any opinions will help.:confused2:

/ I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor #2  
It may not solve your problem, but I would change the fuel filter first. Let a couple of pints of fuel run out into a clean glass jar to see if it is clean before putting the new filter on.

/ I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor #3  
ray,

I have a bit issue like that with my front tine tiller as well. As probably every one knows the basic operation of a carburettor. The float , along with float needle valve maintain a fuel level in the carburetor, reciprocating action of piston causes a vacuum that draws the fuel in to a venturi, the reduction of the neck area causes velocity increase of the fuel helping with the vaporization of fuel before it goes in to piston to be burned and voila you got internal combustion engine operation. carburetors have fuel jets that meter amount of flow with addition of other port to allow easier starting. If the jets gets clogged due to precipitation of volatiles in the fuel causes a film build up hence reducing the flow of fuel. By chocking the carburetor you force the system to draw the fuel need by sucking harder , gasping for more. it may be okay to use the chock to compensate for fuel delivery for combustion but eventually the carb need to be opened up and cleaned and put back together. Most engine in small appliances have some governor system to adjust fuel flow under varying load condition. If your governor is not set right a bit of choking might help to keep the engine running. My guess is that you might have partial blockage somewhere in your carburetor.

JC,

/ I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor
Thanks JC, I will look into that. Ray

Last edited:
I have changed fuel filter and new hose from the filter to the fuel pump. Got a qt jar filled with new gas and put the new filter into it to make sure it was getting good gas. It ran the same drawing new fuel from the jar. I let it run for 10 min with the choke 1/2 on. Still would not continue to run without choke. I am thinking this is a process of elimanation to rule out the tank, gas and fuel pump. That leaves me with the carb plugged? Now I need to know if the carb can be cleaned without removing from the engine. I have some carb and choke cleaner in a spray can. Any Ideas or helpful information?:confused2: Am I going to have to take it in to the shop?

/ I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor #6  
I have changed fuel filter and new hose from the filter to the fuel pump. Got a qt jar filled with new gas and put the new filter into it to make sure it was getting good gas. It ran the same drawing new fuel from the jar. I let it run for 10 min with the choke 1/2 on. Still would not continue to run without choke. I am thinking this is a process of elimanation to rule out the tank, gas and fuel pump. That leaves me with the carb plugged? Now I need to know if the carb can be cleaned without removing from the engine. I have some carb and choke cleaner in a spray can. Any Ideas or helpful information?:confused2: Am I going to have to take it in to the shop?

Depends on where the carb is. Just blowing carb cleaner in to intake filter areas at best might clean a sticky throttle valve ( a metal round disk that controls the air flow), but it would not do anything for the fuel jet cleaning. You might be able to take the fuel bowl out without carb removal. If you can do that then you might spray some cleaner in the fuel jet area to clean it. you might be able to remove the jet and clean without carb removal. I'll add a few pics that might help you. Your carb might not be exactly what i show but the concept is the same. it is a Honda carb on my push mower.

JC,

dsc04855u.jpg

dsc03272xs.jpg

dsc04841r.jpg

dsc03274y.jpg

Nice pictures, I hope you didn't go out and tear your mower down to show me.;) Mine looks similair and I have removed the bowl where the float is but didn't see any blockage in that area. Sprayed some carb cleaner where the gas comes into the float. The bowl was full of gas when I removed it. My problem may be in the gas intake area where the gas from the fuel pump enters the carb, that is harder to get to. Your picture of the float. I didn't take the float off and remove the valve (pictured). What is the tube parts (2) under the bowl and how did you remove them? I don't have a technical manual, might have to spent $60 for a cd or $120 for a printed tech manual. There are 3 things I would have to remove to take the carb off, Choke, Throttle and govener control. Mine is a Kawaski water cooled 2 cy 17 HP rider. Ray

Last edited:
   / I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor #8  
Nice pictures, I hope you didn't go out and tear your mower down to show me.;) Mine looks similair and I have removed the bowl where the float is but didn't see any blockage in that area. Sprayed some carb cleaner where the gas comes into the float. The bowl was full of gas when I removed it. My problem may be in the gas intake area where the gas from the fuel pump enters the carb, that is harder to get to. Your picture of the float. I didn't take the float off and remove the valve (pictured). What is the tube parts (2) under the bowl and how did you remove them? I don't have a technical manual, might have to spent $60 for a cd or $120 for a printed tech manual. There are 3 things I would have to remove to take the carb off, Choke, Throttle and govener control. Mine is a Kawaski water cooled 2 cy 17 HP rider. Ray

No Ray, I did not go out there to take a pic. I have pictorial archives of most of my repairs, tractor or otherwise and even my projects:cool::ashamed:

Ray, fuel either goes by gravity in to the bowl or by pump depending on elevation difference between tank and carb. I think yours is pumped. bowl full of gas leads me to believe your float, needle valve and pump probably is working okay. on second pic the middle hole is the main jet. You need to have a screwdriver to take the jet off and right above it is a metering tube with holes. That's where I suspect you might have a blockage. Although you should not use a needle or a pin to clean the hole I use small strands from electrical wire (copper) to clean out the hole while spraying with carb cleaner. The hole in the main jet is where vacuum from engine sucks (withdraws) fuel out of the bowl. If you have room to get a screwdriver under it you might be able to do it without further dis-assembly.
JC,

so are you saying the 2 brass parts laying on the red O is the main jet and the bottom piece is threaded and can be removed with a screw driver if there is enough room( there is), then the longer piece falls free? Then you clean the 2 tiny holes with a piece of copper wire. This cleans the main jets?:confused2: I do have a mechanical fuel pump that workes off the cam shaft with a pushrod. I replaced it 2 seasons back, I guess it could have went bad again but the last time it was leaking fuel from a vent. It is not leaking now.

/ I have a Ford Tractor and JD Lawn Tractor #10  
Ray,

Try some Seafoam in the tank. I have become a recent believer in the stuff for carbon issues and not adjustment issues.

It has been around a long time. I put it in all my yard equipment occasionally and it really cleared up my gas blower and weed eater.