1969 Ford 4500TLB

/ 1969 Ford 4500TLB #1  

CityMouse

Tractor
Ford 4500 1969 TLB
Hi, I'm a city girl who just bought a Farm. We are moving to the country. Yes, I've got lots to learn but jumping in anyhow. I met a lot of good people and fell in love with the house and the land. I never thought I'd be buying a tractor but here goes. We found a 1969 Ford 4500 TLB(Tractor/Loader/Backhoe) for just under $6,000. Private sale, first owner was a cemetery, next owner used to clear and built and then bought to build a pond. We are buying from the son who inherited it when his dad passed on. Never used commercially. It seems good for the price and well taken care of.Seller seems like a honest straight forward guy.

We have 15 acres total. The field was used as a landing when the woods where logged. There is a ditch for run off that needs to be re-dug, boulders to be moved, Logging debris moved, the field are uneven and need to be leveled and I'd love to pull up some of the stumps from logging. I'm a nurse and studying using plants as medicine (herbalism) and am thinking for this place to be a healing center/herb farm.

My husband is handy with engines. It needs a valve cover gasket (or something like that) This is bigger I think than we need but the seller will get it to our property for us.
I have a 17 year old who I'm hoping can lean to use this and get a trailer and do some local work for neighbors and learn a skill.
Any comments.... we're hard workers.

/ 1969 Ford 4500TLB #2  
Look at the wear points, pins and bushings on both the hoe and FEL. If they are tight (show little wear) the history may be correct.

Our 1983 John Deere 310B backhoe was $7200 and I have been told I paid too much but do not know. i think most any BH that will work and looks good will bring $5K+ regardless of age.

Is it gas or diesel? At that age either would be fine and gas would be preferred by some because with age they can be easier to start.

Just be mindful if any thing major goes wrong with an old backhoe the cost to fix it can make it a throw away item.

Will it shift/pull/dig well when hot would be my main concerns.

/ 1969 Ford 4500TLB
Gale thanks for reply. Its gas. I'll forward your reply to the husband. He is the mechanic. We also have a brother-in-law who is a welder and the bucket is missing a tooth on the digger. I don't know the proper lingo. I have photo's on my computer but don't know how to attach them. We where told you can still get parts even though its a 1969. What kind of attachments do you get for these machines. I need to smooth out some of the land. Can I drag a log in back to smooth out dirt? Or is there an attachment?
We also have a old John Deere lawn tractor my husband is fixing for a friend. a Scotts 16 HP/42". I'm planning on using that to cut the lawn and I heard it has a snow plow. I think we can take it to our place for the good weather since our friend only wants it for the snow in his driveway. Do you know if I can get attachments to thatch the lawn (it overgrew for 2 years) and also smooth out some of the land behind the barn. Its grass/field and really bumpy, my mom who is 85+ is coming up and I'd like to smooth it out just a bit.
Can't attach photo's.. I'm a newbie:confused2:

/ 1969 Ford 4500TLB #4  
Others can better tell you but I think the 4500 does not have a three point hitch for equipment but I may be wrong. If it does it is some work to remove and replace.

If that is correct the tractor will not work as a farm tractor very well.

Gas is fine for a 40 year old tractor. The shuttle clutch would be a big concern as to how it shifts especially hot.

Go to Ebay and search on BACKHOE for an idea about price and condition of ones on the market today.

A forty year old hoe can been a huge gamble but so can a 20 year old machine. Put the BH through all its ranges of motion at least and using the shuttle reverse it about 30 times if possible and see how much lag there is in each direction. Most will reverse directions in 2-3 seconds in both directions cold or hot.

/ 1969 Ford 4500TLB
Thank you. We feel we where meant to be in this house and on this land. I've been blessed.:)