CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE

/ CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE #1  

TopGun

Second electrical issue with my TC29D.

The Cruise control rocker switch has power coming to it and it lights green when I rock it up. However, the cruise magnet is not energized.

Thus, i put a meter down at the magnet pigtail and do not get a current reading when I rock the cruise control switch on??????? At first I just figured it was a bad maginet. Now I am confused. Fuses are all good.

Am I missing something here. Does the magnet energize just by rocking the switch on, or do you need to be in gear or something???????

Help again please.

Thanks In advance.
Brian

/ CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE #2  
Brian, all you need is for the key to be on to set the CC magnet with the switch. You don't need the engine running or the tractor to be in gear. What you do need is the brake pedal switch to not be made. If the brake pedal switch is out of adjustment, cruise will never set. Another common issue is a broken or loose connection somewhere.

You said there was no current to the magnet. Did you mean voltage? You can't read current unless you put your meter in series with the magnet; however, you should be able to measure 12 vdc across the magnet when the switch is pressed to ON. There is a relay that latches and sets to hold the cruise energized. That also could be the problem. I'm not sure which relay it is on your tractor, but pressing the switch sets the relay to provide power to the magnet. Pressing the brake pedal or the switch to OFF resets the relay and magnet.

/ CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE
Thanks for the help. Finally FIXED it!. The problem I was experiencing was that I could not get power down at the magnet. I HAD THE BRAKE SET (with the brake set there is no power going to the magnet). Thus after reading your post (Thank You), I disengaged the brake and hooked up a new magnet. The new magnet worked! The old magnet was bad. The magnet is very easy to get off and replace. Two screws holding the plate to the pivot arm casting. Remove the two screws and the plate with the magnet slide right out. The magnet simply slips over a plastic bushing and has a spring arm to keep it from rotating. Easy. MUCH easier that the tilt wheel piston fix I did last fall. Again, thanks for the help.

/ CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE #4  
Excuse my ignorance..your rig has cruise control? Please explain. I have a TC29D as well and have never seen or heard of such a thing. Thanks

/ CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE #5  
davcon, my TC29D with hydrostat has a rectangular rocker switch to the left of the steering wheel that is the cruise control. All it does is essentially lock the hydrostat foot lever wherever you have it set.

I tried to convince my wife it was for cruising down Broadway on Saturday night, but she said no.

/ CRUISE CONTROL ELECTRICAL ISSUE #6  
Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation barbq, I have the gear model.