Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Y'all, just wanted to relay that the fix for a sticking 3 pt adjusting lever is really easy. Took me all of 10 minutes. Just as others have posted, but I couldn't find, all you have to do is remove the cotter pin, loosen the nut that cinches down on the shaft where it enteres the tractor chassis, apply some grease, and don't tighten the nut quite so tight before reinstalling the cotter pin. Presto! You're done, and now you can easily adjust and fine tune the lever for any 3-pt mounted equipment. (There's some really nice pictures of the nut and adjusting shaft out there somewhere, but I searched and could not find.) /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #2  
Makes me wonder why New Holland puts them together so tight when it creates such a common problem and is so preventable.

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #3  
Is this the other thread you were talking about?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=nhown&Number=52646&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Lift too stiff</A>

I'm going to check mine this weekend, since it's always been too stiff.

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking
Danny, I don't think so as I couldn't find the nice pictures either Jim or someone took. I did note however that Jim thought the job pretty difficult without taking the wheel off. I really didn't think it all that bad on my TC 40D. With no implements on and the right lower 3 pt arm positioned properly, I was able to reach in from the rear of the tractor and first straighten and pull out the cotter pin and then remove the nut. I then greased up the two washers and the base of the nut and put it all back. As I didn't have the right size wrench, I even did it with an adjustable./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Before I dropped the pin in I did check the tightness of the lever on the fender until I thought I had enough drag, but certainly much less than originally. Good Luck!

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #5  
Duane, the biggest problem on my tractor was the position of the castellated nut. the cotter key "legs" were toward the front of the tractor and I could not easily squeeze them together to take out the key. While I was working on my hydro tranny pedals earlier this year, I was able to get to the nut and loosen it several turns. My control is now very smooth. I also had a very stiff throttle lever on the dash. I took off the pedestal covers and the throttle lever also has a drag adjustment. It also now works very smoothly. Those are two little irritants that I don't even think about anymore and it surely makes operating the tractor much more fun./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #6  
   / Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #7  
Mosey,

Actually your tractor does have the adjustment nut. From the position control lever that goes through the fender there is a connecting rod to a smaller lever towards the front of the tractor. Behind this lever is a nut with a cotter pin trough it. This is the adjustment for the tension on the 3ph control. I adjusted mine on my TC33D (same as your TC29D) and it makes all the difference in the world/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #8  
bnixon - OK, I'll take a look at that. So, do you mean the front of the lever in this picture?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/13-89247-P8300008.jpg>third picture in JohnInCA's thread</A>

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #9  
Yes, He has replaced his cotter pin with a pull pin. I didn't put any lubricant on mine, just loosened it about a full turn or so and it moves very smooth now. Hope this helps!

/ Boomer - 3 pt lever sticking #10  
bnixon - I looked at mine last night and I can see the nut you're talking about. It has a cotter pin in it. If I get some time later this week I'll try to get the cotter pin out and back the nut off a little and see if it helps. I'll try to get a picture from angle that shows the nut. Thanks.