Speed Control Revisited

/ Speed Control Revisited #1  

PLanger

Silver Member
Tractor
Utility
I posted a couple months ago about a class 3 Boomer Hydro Drive unable to hold a constant speed in reverse using the speed control (see archives). I have a 1/3 mile driveway plus building site that I blow snow w/ a 3PH blower, so cruise in reverse is important to me. The manual clearly states that the speed control should hold a constant speed in either forward or reverse - the dealer, after consulting w/ NH agrees. Well, they've adjusted, welded on an extension on the plate which faces the electro magnent, backed of tension on the return spring, replaced the EM coil. Still the problem - the tractor gradually slows under load after the speed control is engaged in reverse (forward seems fine). I would really like to know if this is a common (design flaw) issue or if it is unique to my tractor. If those of you with a 35/40/45 TC get a chance, test your speed control in reverse while backing up a gradual hill (or similar load) - the longer the better (PLEASE BE SAFE) - does your tractor gradually slow/pedal returns to stop position? Thanks for your input.

/ Speed Control Revisited #2  
Planger, not ignoring your post, but haven't been on the 40D in a week or so, (starting to suffer withdrawl symptoms), but will try your requested test as soon as I am. Should be this weekend as I'm rebuiding my Woods brush hog gearbox and will have to be moving that around.

/ Speed Control Revisited
Anyone?

/ Speed Control Revisited #4  
Sorry, I have been on my tractor several times and in forward cruise, but haven't tried reverse./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I will honestly try to remember to try it this coming weekend.

/ Speed Control Revisited #5  
This weekend I put the cruise on in reverse and backed my tractor approximately 1/4 mi over bumpy ground. While backing, I was able to change speeds by pressing on the reverse pedal to force it to slide by the cruise magnet. It worked perfectly. I could not shake it enough to cause it to change without putting my foot on the pedal and pushing. I'd say your cruise is definitely malfunctioning if it does not work in reverse./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif ...hope this helps.

/ Speed Control Revisited #6  
I checked my cruise in reverse and had no problems whatsoever. I went uphill in reverse both high and low range.

JT

/ Speed Control Revisited #7  
I checked the cruise in reverse on my TC45D and had no problems whatsoever. I went uphill in reverse both high and low range.

JT

/ Speed Control Revisited #8  
I have a 35D and checked it out yesterday. Reverse cruise control in both low and high range, worked just like forward. Sounds like you have a legitimate problem.