Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford 1720 clutch pedal noise

My 1720 has started making noise when the clutch pedal is let out. It does this in gear or not in gear. Depressed it makes no noise at all when let out it makes a knocking sound that seems like it comes from the front half of the tractor. I have looked underneath the tractor and nothing seems broke or out of place, but dont really know what to be specifically looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas

Default Re: Ford 1720 clutch pedal noise

Maybe something to do with the transmission input shaft. How does the clutch act? Does it move the tractor like it should? Does it make the noise when the tractor is moving? TB

TB, The clutch does act like it should (no spongyness or slip) and it moves the tractor just fine. It just has the knocking noise whenever it is let out whether moving or not.

Tractor
    1700 4wheel drive, Yazoo/Kees Max2 Zero Turn

It may be the throw-out bearing. Check the clutch linkage adjustment, there should be free play at the top of the petal travel. In other words the throw-out bearing should completely disengage from the clutch and not touch or spin with the clutch.
    Russell

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

ditto on what Russel said. You are contently riding the pressure plate finger with the throwout bearing. adjustment will correct it. I hope it did not permanently damaged the bearing to avoid a tractor split.

JC,
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas

With any luck, it will be the throw bearing or the pressure plate. Make the adjustment as jones has suggested and try again. If the bearing is coming apart, or the pressure plate, you may feel some vibrations in the pedal, maybe not. You may feel something when you first push the pedal in when the bearing makes contact with the pressure plate. Maybe one of the arms on the pressure plate is broke or loose, or maybe the throw bearing fork or sleeve is worn. The pilot bearing could also be wore out allowing to much freeplay or wobble in the input shaft. All these things are the best news you could have. If the clutch turns out to be fine, I might lean towards the input shaft bearings, and or a broken tooth on the input shaft which wouldnt be good news. Hey JC, how much of the clutch can you see through the inspection hole? I seem to remember you posting a picture of yours at one time. TB

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Hey TB,

I made a paper gage and trimmed it by a scissor to the thickness of disk plate. I then Used a vernier caliper and measured the thickness of the paper. I had more than plenty thickness left from the OEM thickness in the last 30 years of use. 3.2 millimeter left 0ut of 4.76 mm. I converted my reading to metric.

JC,

Last edited by JC-jetro; 05-16-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Thank you all. The nearest Ford dealer told me the same and I am hoping the linkage adjustment might correct this. I plan on adjusting the linkage and looking into the inspection hole this week when time permits. Hopefully the worst case scenario will not be it. Matt

I was curious to know how much free play should the clutch have to adjust the linkage correctly? My service manual does not give me an answer for this and I would like to adjust it right the first time to eliminate this possibility. Thanks Matt

Tractor
    Ford 1720

Matt, my manual says 3/4" to 1 & 3/16". Have the same problem. Adjusted the clutch, wich works fine but the noise persists. Bought a pto chipper and cant get pto into gear. Not sure what to do.

Mark
    Ford 1720, Sims cab, FEL, Woods subframe backhoe, Fisher 7' hydro angle plow, Wallenstein 3 pth splitter, 5' blade, 3 pth carry-all, 3 pth ballast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast