TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise

/ TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #11  
This is a old thread but, Im going to chime in and say that I have the T2310 07' model which replaces the TC40DA. I bought my tractor used and have been concerned with the chatter and noise being described here. I have done a lot of digging on filter heads ect. Im going to order parts from Messicks the parts I'm ordering are the following numbers. Spring#SBA398213390 price is $7.22 this spring is shown on under the (hydro and HST piping diagram.) Under the oil cooler diagram they show same filter head with a spring and a different part number. 86532703 price $2.90. The ball is part number 110680 price $1.33.
I'm going to compare the springs and install the stiffer of the two if there is a difference.
My noise is minimal at idle as rpms raise so dose the noise. When you put your hands on the hard lines by the HST filter while sitting in the seat you can really feel the fluid pulsing through there. I may do all this and not change anything but at least I tried to find a resolution.

/ TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #12  
Thanks for the info, if you happen to remember post up and let me know how/if it helps the issue!!

/ TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #13  
Below is what the service manual says about the bypass. and the direction of fluid through the unit. Im not planning on taking the time to make a custom banjo bolt like the book says. If I install new spring and ball and problem is not resolved I will bypass with hoses the hst cooler to see if there is a blockage. I'm hoping that working with the filter head will resolve the problem. I'm not really worried about noises my concern is with the fact that if the HST is bypassing the cooler and your working the tractor hard the hydro fluid could get to hot and maybe damage the HST pump or the charge pump.
I have read a few post around the web where people have said to expand the spring and see if that reduces the noise however i have not read that anyone has preformed the repair I decided I would be the one to try it in honor of Jim.

image1.JPG

/ TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #14  
Took the tractor apart yesterday afternoon and here are my findings. HST has been bypassing for some time looks like judging on the pitts seen in the picture of the filter head. The two part numbers I gave are indeed two part numbers but are really the same spring. The tractor has 380 hours on it now and the filters look to have been changed because of the date codes on the base of the filters. I have a new HST filter with all new Case IH fluid and I suppose i would try a new suction filter as well while I'm at it they are 60.00 bucks but that's cheap if it works. I know color of fluid does not mean much but, the fluid I pulled out was darkish and has some smell to it. the new fluid is very red and looks more like ATF. I took original spring and lengthened it just because i had another one to use it seems to help some but, the unit is still bypassing.
Debating on keeping it simple and dumping all fluid and starting fresh with new Suction filter and HST filter and see where that gets me. for all I know the previous owner may have use OEM filters but used knock off oil or oil not spec'd to run in this tractor.
If i wanted to really get serious i was thinking of bypassing cooler as a test with a piece of pipe to verify its not clogged. leaning away from this because of the low hours.
The filter head does have some pitts in the ball seat and the repair manual states that if there is damage there to replace it with new filter head ball and spring.

long and the short of it to be continued.

IMG_0407.JPGIMG_0408.JPGIMG_0409.JPGIMG_0416.JPGIMG_0418.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 175
   / TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #15  
Here is a pic of the current filter on the unit and the area where i removed the filter head. Just a note you can remove the filter head with loader and frame on tractor you just have to have long arms and patience.

IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0412.JPG

/ TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #16  
Here is something else for thought. the model TC40DA year 03 through end of production I think 06 shows a smaller oil cooler than is listed for the T2310-T2330 series.
The T series coolers take up the full size of the engine radiator. attached is a pic of the smaller cooler. Here is a theory and im by no means a pro hydro mechanic. The large cooler in my mind would take more volume and pressure of fluid going through it than the smaller unit simply because there is more restriction. CNH has updated the coolers to a larger size but, has not updated the HST bypass spring in the filter head. The pitts Im seeing in the filter head tell the story that the tractor has certainly been bypassing since new. Im going to go to a hydo shop tom. and try and source a stouter spring. I will then have to test everything to make sure that its not to stiff of a spring. Small_cooler.JPG

/ TC 40D H.S.T. Chatter/Noise #17  
Wanted to follow up on what i did and found out about this problem.
1.)I changed fluid and filters this made things better. The fluid that was in the tractor looked,smelled and felt different than the new fluid CNH HY-Tran ultratraction fluid. The fluid in the tractor smelled more like AW32 or something. The CNH Fluid is very thin almost like ATF.
2.)I went to a local hydraulic shop and bought a few check springs. I measured the spring with a gauge and came up with somewhere in the 17 to 18 lbs to defect the spring. the stock spring was only 6lbs if that.
I reassembled and things were improved more.

I didn't get into bypassing the cooler ect i just dont have the time to do that. Going forward im going to run it the way it is and change fluid in another year to hopefully flush any other old fluid out of the system.

Final thought: The tractor is much quieter and once the tractor is warmed up and has been working for about 30 min or so you cannot hear the noise. Now if you place your hand on the hard line while you rpms are up and your working with the tractor you can feel a slight bypass but nothing like the chatter before. In my mind this is how the system should function.

Hope this helps some other TC/T owners.