Check your loader towers 270 TL

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #11  
My 270 is fine. Checked the mounts closely. They are built out of a thick chunk of steel. If mine failed I would grind and reweld them. It would be foolish to replace them at retail prices.

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #12  
Only two years old, it should not have failed.
That said, a good welder properly grinding and filleting can most likely make it stronger and look better than new. Some care with paint, and no one would be able to tell that a repair had been made. Not every flaw needs to be a fatal flaw. If it were mine, I would fix it and enjoy my tractor for years to come.

My 1700 and loader are 30 years old. Starts just a little hard, drips some oil, has been repaired and welded many times over the years and could use some fresh paint. I bought it new about '80 - it still does what I bought it to do - work hard. It lifts rocks so large the rear wheels will lift, it mows several acres of lawn regularly with a 60" 'hog and/or a 60" finish mower, and hauls full (2 1/2 to 3 tons) hay wagons in from the field after raking it. It spends a couple weeks a year wallowing in axle deep muck cleaning the manure pit. She works for a living and has earned her keep. A repair here or there is a whole lot cheaper than payments.

Like the first parking lot door ding on your new car, the first break, crack or bend on your tractor is always the worst.

THE LAST THING I would do is get pi55ed and trade it in at a give-away price over a couple small weld cracks, as disappointing as they are. If the dealer is willing to do the repair, just be sure the welding guy is a certified welder. Just my thoughts.

It actually sounds like you have a real nice machine that many of us would consider ourselves lucky to be able to afford. I'm not an envy sort of guy, but I admire your tractor. (Kindly PM me before you give it away.)
Good luck,
Bob

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL
Good to hear they're in good shape, that's exactly why I what new Holland to replace mine and I don't want my dealer welding them. I guess I just didn't explain it clearly my brother is a craftsman level machinist he builds custom hot rods for the last 45 years he could weld it and you would never know, the point is I want my towers to look just like yours I paid 38 grand I don't need anyone fixing my tractor two years down the road on something that should've lasted 20 years it's a bad factory Weld let new Holland take them back fixed them and sell them to someone else or possibly learn what they did wrong either way I don't care I want two new towers or take the loader back and give me my money and I'll buy an aftermarket loader that can handle the work I need to do. BWBROWN trust me I don't want to get rid of my tractor as a matter of fact I'm going to get a few more and replace the old iron on the farm, by selling the tractor to my brother it would still be in the family farm working every day I was trying to help him out with a good deal I was going to play CNH credit ;-). I understand everything you said and I agree I've kept old iron running on this farm for 30 years but when I layout close to 40 grand I don't want to hear it needs to be fixed two years down the road we're not talking about a scratch or my door doesn't close right or the steering wheel doesn't sit straight LOL I'm talking about a structural part of the tractor loader that failed and I'm also telling you it's done nothing that should've compromised these weld points, so far this unit has been raking up piles of debris and rocks from the windrower on the earth and scooping them up , we have 100 hp excavator a 95 hp bulldozer for the heavy work no tractor has ever been abused or used in such a manner that would cause a failure of a loader end of story! I've also talked to the rep again I explained to him I was not accepting it to be welded I asked him where is new Holland's pride in its machinery that's it's not going to stand behind a structural design just because a warranty of one year is up on a $40,000 tractor this is not a moving part I told him I understood if one side broke but both sides in the same spot failed he's going to personally look at a Tuesday will get his answer then. I'm sorry if I offend anyone's love of new Holland I just have no respect for any manufacture that will not stand behind a physical design as I've stated before Massey Ferguson, John Deere and even Kubota cannot believe they're fighting me on this it's not that big of a deal on a two-year-old tractor to replace a broken part under warranty I guess they're trying to save their money to buy Chrysler ;-) don't worry it'll be my last blue tractor contributing to the fund take care

Well I got the tractor back today, unfortunately they did not replace the towers they just welded braces on the inside I know it is stronger than the original my dealer's guys do great work there welds look better than factory, I just don't feel that new Holland did the right thing to me it's unacceptable to weld a two-year-old loader frame there's obviously something wrong with this design and I'm sure it will continue to break as I use it with the many chores ahead . My father was a very smart man he wasn't just a farmer he was a mechanical engineer who works for Raytheon and McDonnell Douglas back in the 60s he always said when something breaks and you welded it you're just chasing a problem to another section, you have to find out why the design failed in order to correct the problem. He approached that with everything on the farm from offset mowers to chisel plows once he fixed something it stayed fixed God I miss him. Well I'm back in business for now ;-) we'll keep clearing off the last Field and when I'm done this unit will be replaced with a manufacture who stands behind their product and doesn't make excuses at every episode sorry it's just how I feel, remember back when I told you loved the tractor hate the company I'm sticking with it take care

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #15  
Radium,. you are missing the boat completely.
A design problem will cause the component steel parts to fail. Poor welding will cause the weld to fail. You have failed welds caused by poor welding procedures. The bad news is the original welds were good enough to last the warranty period. Better welds will be quite unlikely to fail under "normal use".

This has nothing to do with your father, brother, or lawyer. Your loader is out of warranty, and has been repaired in a completely acceptable manner. Enjoy your tractor & move on.

Rick B. I think you miss the whole point no manufactures should have a one-year warranty on a structural material in this case welded steel the generalized statement that it was just welded for a warranty time of one year Is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard uttered on this support site, of course you're entitled to your opinion I just don't agree with it and if you want to accept substandard design be my guest, but my next $40,000 investment will go more than two years before I hear I need it welded at a loader arm support area. I've spent my entire life around equipment I have seen things fail and others excel in this case will just summon this up as a poor design the welding didn't just fail the movement of the towers with lack of structure cause the Weld to give it's just not acceptable and trust me I've moved on by this fall that tractor will be gone and there will be a new manufacturers tractor sitting on the land no BS no arguments it's the least I'd expect for that kind of money one year on moving parts is understandable if I lost the fuel pump that's my problem but castings and steel that's new Holland problem especially the obvious condition of my loader and bucket no abuse at all that's what's so **** scary I can't wait till it starts working and watch it fall off the front ;-) of course I'm only kidding but it is in the back of my brain, so you can go on singing the praises of new Holland I will do more research on manufactures warranties like Mahendra three years, LS five years, John Deere two years take care

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #17  
I think you are wise to exchange your tractor for a different brand. I have a NH and am happy with it, but you will never be happy with yours, and I expect I would not be if I had your experience.

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #18  
you can go on singing the praises of New Holland

If that's what you think I'm doing, so be it. My post reflects the facts and realities of your situation less the drama and emotion.

I agree with barbqranch that you should trade off your NH immediately. You are so off the chart over an unfortunate set of poor welds that you may never recover your confidence in your tractor.

When you do your research on warranty periods, be sure to accurately compare tractor warranties and attachment warranties separately. They are quite often different. BTW, by your own admission, this failure was noticed and reported when the loader was MORE than two years old. Clearly the loader is more than one year beyond warranty coverage at that point.

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #19  
Hey give a shout when you sell it. Would look good next to my NH with over 4500 hours on it! Oh, by the way, I just redid the engine (it spun a bearing) because it was a bad design I guess?!! If I took your attitude, I should have junked it then? For $40,000 you want a Lexus? These are ECONOMY tractors.

PLEASE GO AWAY!

But don't forget to get in touch when you sell that POS.

Well I see I struck a chord housemaster once again I think you don't bother to read I said a mechanical thing is understandable I don't expect new Holland to warranty my tractor for life especially a mechanical moving parts I'm talking about a structural design that should've just been replaced rather than welding up my towers considering that they both broke in the same spots if you don't call that a design flaw I'd like to know what is. I have brought this problem to the attention of three other manufacturers I have been told by two of them they wouldn't hesitate to replace the loader towers as for proof the John Deere dealer showed me the okay paperwork for loader replaced on a three year old machine you all seem to think that two years old is reasonable for a weld to break, emotions have nothing to do with any of this tractor has been in the repair shop more than its work on the farm I've overlooked all mechanical problems things happen it's a great little tractor it just seems that a company like CNH could afford to take a little more time with the customer than just slap some weld on a problem, I started this thread for the simple purpose of telling people to please be aware of the problem and don't get stuck because, what you don't understand and I couldn't get a picture of it it broke up the back quite a large crack again on both sides the odds of two towers breaking in the same spot I'd like to know the odds of that it's more to do with the design as I said before I love the tractor hate the company I actually might even keep the tractor and sell off the loader and buy an aftermarket loader that can handle the work, it's in the perfect size tractor for bailing rocking and general ground maintenance plenty of power and a very comfortable ride for such a short wheelbase and I'll try not to offend you ;-) or your almighty blue LOL take care