Check your loader towers 270 TL

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
Okay how do you think I'm going to make out with this one while checking my tractor over getting ready to give it to my brother well I should say he purchased it but not quite yet, I'm giving him a little time to get his financing together ;-), while checking bolts and greasing I discovered a disturbing sight on each side of the tractor in the same spot there are alarming cracks developing one heads down the main connecting weld point and the other is across a gusset where it is welded the steel actually ripped now I swear they weren't there only two weeks ago but apparently they're rusting so they could've been there for a month she does get a little wet she lives outdoors most of time. the tractor is just over two years and three weeks it figures I wonder if new Holland will warranty this? They've help me in the past as you know but I'm not quite sure what they would do with this I can honestly tell you I've worked the tractor but never abused it rocking fields hay bale lifting and the occasional load of dirt for the gopher holes, it always seemed to me to be a weak design but I am not an engineer. Tomorrow I will go see my dealer and see what he has to say, I'm curious to hear how me people go out and check their loader towers and find these cracks. If they don't warranty this I really think I will no longer consider new Holland as a contender for my money two years is not much to get out of a loader before you have to replace the structure that holds it to your tractor I'm not really mad I'm sort of disheartened all the other things were just mechanical this is a structural design that needs to be addressed hopefully they've solved it and are aware of it will see tomorrow I forgot to mention I have 615 hours on the tractor take care

Attachments

• right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 853
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
   / Check your loader towers 270 TL
NEW Holland any manufacturer that doesn't stand behind their product is full of S!! We're talking about a piece of equipment well over $35,000 and to tell me that it's out of warranty on something that should last 15 to 20 years is total BS, now that I got that out of the way let me give you all a little information my dealer login and check for past complaints from other customers and sure enough there were quite a few loader tower weld breaking big surprise apparently it's a small number of customers having this issue and they are researching it as we speak, I told you I'm no engineer but just looking at the design you could see how it could be flexing back every time it engages the earth, so do yourselves a favor and check them regularly for cracks or you'll be singing the song of $1500 for one side and the other 1200 don't ask me why there's a price difference it makes no sense to me but then again its new Holland. I had great pride in this machine I recommended it to everyone I talk to as a matter of fact three machines were sold due to my influence now I'm sorry I did because they're going to be in the same boat within a year or so totally unacceptable I will be calling every new Holland number I can to get this resolved the mechanical problems I had were understandable things go wrong but structural design flaw is something that should be looked upon as a learning experience not let's just pretend it didn't happen, anyway it only affected 4% of the owners, wait until you are one of the 4% tell me how you feel once again BS!!!, my brother has now decided to back out of the deal and I can't say as I blame him he feels the same way I do when the dealer offered to weld it and reinforce the arms no thanks if new Holland couldn't design it right what makes you think you can you'll just transfer the problem somewhere else I will trade it in on a Massey Ferguson or John Deere. Now my next step is to get it fixed hopefully new Holland will come to their senses and do the right thing I will find out tomorrow if they will replace the two Towers or possibly they have a solution in a new design or instructions to the dealer of how to weld it properly I will keep my fingers crossed take care

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #3  
I would have the cracks welded and reinforcement added. Replacement new holland parts would probably break again in a few years. I agree new holland should make it right.

thanks for the vote of confidence and don't worry they're going to pay for it or they'll wish they never knew me :), one quick update dealer called me back the rep wanted to know what I was exactly doing with the tractor I laughed and told him I'm using it the way it was made to be used as a tractor with a loader should be used for many years with proper maintenance no use keeping the bolts tight if the metal is going to rip anyway I told him clearing fields lifting hay Bales good grief, I also made an error that tractor is only two years and nine days old I forgot when they delivered it they also delivered with my new rock bucket LOL I guess they should've never installed it on this tractor, boy is this going to be fun trust me ;-);-) ;-) take care

Attachments

• rock bucket.jpg
    rock bucket.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 1,547
Okay so to the next chapter, the representative of the almighty blue has determined that my tractors is so out of warranty that they will pay some of the repair bill but not replace the towers now of course my dealer who I love is going also eat some of this and of course me as well my answer is bring on the lawyers here's my thinking I went over too John Deere as you know I've been looking at a 5085M I figure I would just trade this piece of ###### in and forget the whole experience but guess what the JD dealer wants nothing to do with it with big surprise :-( he can't believe new Holland will not replace the towers he's done this for a guy with a three years old loader frame and John Deere made it right they didn't weld it in the shop they replaced it with an official part who would want to take on the responsibility of welding the loader on a new tractor if it were 10 years old no big deal but something this new no chance in **** he also explained to me it looked quite abused but they replaced it anyway he showed me a picture of the damage and he wasn't kidding about how it looked and the paperwork for the repair and the okay from John Deere and would call the gentleman if I didn't believe him, this angered me even more knowing that I have to fix this tractor in order to sell it he told me he's not going to put a tractor on his lot with welded loader towers it's just not his style, it's not factory and has to be explained to the customer there goes the resale value good grief , he actually told me remove the loader and he will buy the tractor and I could sell the loader arms and bucket on eBay or craigslist or replace both towers and he would accept it on trade no other exceptions he doesn't want to see weld marks anywhere near a loader on a two-year-old tractor I can't say as I blame him, so do you still think I'm overreacting I haven't even started to get mad yet ;-). The sad part of all this is I really do love the little tractor but to have a design flaw in the loader mounts break that's just too much to accept as I said before I can honestly tell you this tractor is not done anything abusive I'm very careful when I use the rock bucket all the rocks were in rows just scraped off the ground and the tree limbs I cleared were dragged into piles with my back rake and scooped up with my bucket I just can't believe it cracked and I'm trying to take a better picture it actually broke more in the back I just can't get the camera in far enough to show it to you there's no doubt it has to be fixed I wouldn't use it again until it repaired or sold. One other option I've been online looking at aftermarket loaders anybody have any experience with Westendorf 25A loader they look quite stout it might be a simpler solution than replacing the entire tractor well take care

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #6  
Who made that loader for NH? Maybe you can contact them for a better solution. If it's their design and it is flawed, surely they have heard about it by now.

Has anyone else ever used your tractor without you there? I'm just wondering if something could have happened to it that you don't know about.

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #7  
If the steel lines to the rams are 500 dollars ( no profit there at all ) I'm not surprised the towers are in excess of 12 - 15 hundred. At least your getting some steel, not 16 ounces of tubing. Going to check my 270 this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #8  
You guys make me laugh at how you get over a little crack. Its always someone else FAULT...just weld the crack you ninny! And all the others...oh I got ONE drip of oil on my garage floor, aghhh panic! Get real.

I've already thought of trying to contact the manufacture and I'm glad other people are checking their are quite a few of them breaking housemaster you're really not that simple? It's not about my shiny tractor doesn't look good it's about $40,000 two years down the road and I need them welding my loader towers are you kidding I mean seriously you think that's acceptable mechanical structural engineering? I can show you pictures of my 1972 case a little farmall 35 hp that still lifts and runs around the farm burning lots oil of course but not one crack in the loader frame and I can tell you the tractor has done more than its share of abuse like ramming into hedgerows when we were kids ;-). As I said many times in the past there were mechanical things that went wrong with the tractor and even though I was mad I understood things happen but not structural welds on a loader frame sorry I draw the line there they need to rethink the design or be willing to fix them and not tell the customer to pay out. Another good point today talking to my dealer he wondered when would you stop expecting warranty I simply said when the abuse is obvious and I countered his question with a question well how long should a loader last two years five years 10 years they don't put that in the fine print, look everybody's different I'm telling you I've driven tractors my entire life I'm close to 55 years old this loader and tractor did nothing that should even compromise those connection points never mind when I start really moving bales and stacking round ones this is a small utility class tractor I've personally never put the machine in anything over its head . If welding a new tractor is an option for you that's great but I think you'll find a lot more people on this forum and for that matter in the world won't agree with you now that we got that out of the way, the rep and I are coming to a better conclusion my offer replace both towers and let's see what happens or remove the loader completely and give me my money back and I'll buy some other manufactures loader end of story if not I'll take it from there with a lawyer . One other quick point housemaster new Holland is aware of the problem and they are trying to solve it so I don't need my dealer playing R&D research on how to weld a loader let new Holland figure it out that's why I paid 38,000+ for a quality unit that would last and do the work I need will take care and check your loaders I hate to see this happen to someone else

/ Check your loader towers 270 TL #10  
Rather than being a design problem, I am guessing this was a welding quality control issue. There are a number of steps taken when properly welding to get a good result, and it is possible something went wrong with this batch. Although it does seem odd that QC could be a problem on both sides, I can imagine short production runs doing that. I agree it looks like it should be a warranty repair.