Loader Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #1  

durango1700

Please don't ask how it happened, I really don't know, but the little aluminum dip stick that is (was) attached to the screw plug for the hydraulic oil fell into the gear box and got chewed up.

Can anyone provide measurements so I can try to fab a replacement for it? Or does anybody know where you can get a replacement online?

Also, does anybody know a good source for replacement hydraulic cylinders for a Dunham Lehr 120 Loader? I had them rebuilt a year ago at the local shop and they lasted moving snow through the winter, but blew up again when I tried to move piles of dirt this week.

Thanks.

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #2  
Please don't ask how it happened, I really don't know, but the little aluminum dip stick that is (was) attached to the screw plug for the hydraulic oil fell into the gear box and got chewed up.

Can anyone provide measurements so I can try to fab a replacement for it? Or does anybody know where you can get a replacement online?

Also, does anybody know a good source for replacement hydraulic cylinders for a Dunham Lehr 120 Loader? I had them rebuilt a year ago at the local shop and they lasted moving snow through the winter, but blew up again when I tried to move piles of dirt this week.

Thanks.

It happens to the best of us. I'd fab a new one by putting new threaded hole in the plug, tap a piece of metal rod and trim to 8" and mark with a dremel tool 7" normal level point. It is pretty painless to remove the cover off and remove the piece of metal. I doubt if it is chewed up. It is probably laying in the bottom. You don't want it to get bound up to the gears anywhere.

JC,

Ps,:) welcome to TBN blue

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #3  
My 75 ford 5000 8spd ate one.. I didn't even know it till draining the oil in the trans for a service, and I felt something with my finger at the plug hole.

CNH still carried mine.. probably still carries the OP's as well.

Attachments

• transstick.jpg
    transstick.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 746
   / Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #4  
My 75 ford 5000 8spd ate one.. I didn't even know it till draining the oil in the trans for a service, and I felt something with my finger at the plug hole.

CNH still carried mine.. probably still carries the OP's as well.

Chewed up some... not too bad. I think OP's dip stick probably looks just like yours in the bottom taking a nap.:D

JC,

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #5  
Hello to forum,
Regarding that hyd. fill, I'm putting a 1700 back together I purchased with engine top end removed. A manual is on the way, but while I wait, I'm hesitant to turn the engine over without a review of the hydraulics. The level is off the stick on mine, so does anyone know the quantity and the type of hyd.fluid for this tractor? Thanks.
Also, I'm cautious to offer anyone advice as I'm brand new to tractors, but as a heavy equipment mechanic I would advice that any metal part dropped into a hyd. tank be removed completly before ever running unit. Metal flakes will trash the entire hyd system; pump,cylinders,valves and any attachments running off the tractor's hydraulics and any bearings or friction surfaces operating in that fluid bath.

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #6  
utf fluid meeting M2C134D spec is the fluid you want.. TSC, napa, walmart all carry generics.. or the ambra G from the dealer at 3x the cost.. your call.. all will make the 3pt go up and lube the inards..

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #7  
Thank you.

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #8  
CAPACITIES: Ford 1700
Cooling System: 5.3 L (5.6 US Qts)
Crankcase*: 5.0 L (5.3 qt) * with filter change **.5 L or .53 qt less if 4X4
Fuel tank: 22 L (5.8 gal)
Transmission-rear axle-hydrolic system: 22L (23.2 US Qts)
Front axle Differential case: 2.4 L (2.5 qts)
Front axle reduction case (each): .22 L (.23 us qts)

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #9  
If you're running loader cylinders off the tractor hydraulics, you may want to check if there's a note on the fill capacity. Most will need additional fluid to compensate for what's pumped out to the cylinders. My 3910 has a fill level of 12 gallons (Rear-end/Hydraulics) but up to 6 additional gallons can be added to run cylinders.

Just a thought.

/ Ford 1700 questions on hydraulic fluid level and loader cylinders #10  
Thanks again for all the information on hydraulics. I don't have a FEL for this 1700 yet, but that's a good point on extra capacity. It did come with a Ford 201 snow plow which has a small lift cylinder. I plan on selling the 201 when I find a 770 but since it's tied into the system now, I'll leave it for now and calculate the extra volume.
On the motor end, I have a new head with valves installed, glow plugs, replaced a bent pushrod, had one injector rebuilt (bench test showed dribble, 2nd. inj. is new) and am still waiting on a shop manual bought off Ebay, so if anyone does have cylinder head torq. specs and tightening sequence, could you post them? I am very thankful for the information.
I tried everywhere to find the head gasket aftermarket without luck, so I've got to fork the $80 over to NH. After that I think I'm ready to put it back together.