Water pump on 1710

/ Water pump on 1710 #1  

bartman

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2640 / Ford 1710 / MTD 2554 ZERO TURN MOWER
Ford 1710 has 1535 hours on it.The water pump seized up on it. A new one from the Ford dealership is $165............

I think the only problem is the main bearing

Any one had any luck changing the main bearing or should I just go and spend the $165 for a new water pump

Bartman

/ Water pump on 1710 #2  
Keep in mind those bearing sizes are metric. Not impossible to find but you will have to work at it. Might be easier to change it out. You should get a deposit back on your old pump which will help defray the cost a little.

/ Water pump on 1710 #3  
New Holland does not rebuild water pumps so there is no deposit for them. There is a bearing, seal and impeler available thru part for this pump. The labor is about an hour you do need a press in most cases to change the bearing and take the pulley off. The parts are about $48.00.

/ Water pump on 1710 #4  
I stand corrected! Wonder why they don't rebuild them? Buying a water pump for a dozer will take your breath away! Deposit on last water pump for my dozer was $80.00.

/ Water pump on 1710 #5  
The construction company I work for has a few Cat 623 scrapper pans.. and we changed a starter on one of them a while back. Since the mechanic was busy, I got called out of hte office to take in the old starter as the core, and pick the new one up to run out to the job. It was just about as heavy as i could manage. And the core was 250.. for the 1K$ starter... sheesh!.. glad it wasn't my money...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>I stand corrected! Wonder why they don't rebuild them? Buying a water pump for a dozer will take your breath away! Deposit on last water pump for my dozer was $80.00.

/ Water pump on 1710 #6  
Just replaced mine at about 2200 hours. Local dealer told me there were no rebuilds, so bought a new pump. Found that big o-ring that goes on the back by having the local car dealer's parts man match them up.

Don't forget to check your hoses and those little rubber radiator mounts - mine were all in pretty bad shape, so ended up being a big $220 job, but ought to be good for another 20 years.

/ Water pump on 1710
Thanks all for responding >> I bit the bullet and went for the $165 new pump. Was going to change the hoses too but the dealer could not find the small hose that went from the pump to the thermostat and the other hoses really did not look too bad. All in all the job the job went smooth...............
The dealer did have the small o-ring for 91 cents
Later Bartman