3600 ford diesel wont run

/ 3600 ford diesel wont run #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
3600 ford diesel wont stay running

My 3600 ford diesel wont stay running, Ive been bush hogging or trying to, I ran the tractor a few hrs and it tacked up and then died Ive been working it at 1400 rpm, it tacked up about 1600 to 1800 and cut off after it sputtered a few times, so I checked the fuel it had about 1/4 tank, so I assumed the rough ground might have put a bubble it the tank, I got my father to pull me off got it running and put some more fuel in it, Ran a couple more hrs did it again. Fuel filter I thought, put one on got it running , Today I started mowing again, going good for about two hrs, it started again, but this time as I knew what was happening I disengaged mower knocked it out of gear so I could see what it was running like, I was mowing at 1400 rpm it tacked to 1800 for a little bit then stated fluttering like it was getting to much fuel and smoking it started tacking down as it was flooding or thats what I think it was doing.and died This is the first diesel I have ever owned and I know nothing about them could some one please give me some advise about what is causing this and how I can fix it thanks

Last edited:
   / 3600 ford diesel wont run #2  
Re: 3600 ford diesel wont stay running

was it making black smoke? that's usually an air restriction.. though there are some pump and injector issues that will cause over fueling.

if no smoke.. but won't make or maintain rpms.. it's usually fuel starvation. see what kind of flow at the pump you are getting.

fines or rust can plug the tank tap.

soundguy

/ 3600 ford diesel wont run
It was black smoke it started smoking as it was sputtering down, but it wasnt smoking when it tacked up

My air filters looked bad but not really bad, so I have some ordered, Also I pulled it off and got it running w/o changing the fuel filter, It wouldn't crank yesterday after it cut off , so I tried it today after it set for a day and cooled off, could it still be trash in the lines or a gunked up tank or am I looking at somthing more serious btw thanks for the help

/ 3600 ford diesel wont run #5  
you need to check flow at the pump to see if there might be trash issues.

soundguy

O,k thanks, Im not real sure how to check it, but Im assuming just take the line loose and cut the fuel on and check the flow,

/ 3600 ford diesel wont run #7  
probably.. I don't have one to compare to... my 5000 is pretty much that way. IE.. gravity feed thru the filter tot he injection pump..

soundguy

/ 3600 ford diesel wont run #8  
Re: 3600 ford diesel wont stay running

My 3600 ford diesel wont stay running, Ive been bush hogging or trying to, I ran the tractor a few hrs and it tacked up and then died Ive been working it at 1400 rpm, it tacked up about 1600 to 1800 and cut off after it sputtered a few times, so I checked the fuel it had about 1/4 tank, so I assumed the rough ground might have put a bubble it the tank, I got my father to pull me off got it running and put some more fuel in it, Ran a couple more hrs did it again. Fuel filter I thought, put one on got it running , Today I started mowing again, going good for about two hrs, it started again, but this time as I knew what was happening I disengaged mower knocked it out of gear so I could see what it was running like, I was mowing at 1400 rpm it tacked to 1800 for a little bit then stated fluttering like it was getting to much fuel and smoking it started tacking down as it was flooding or thats what I think it was doing.and died This is the first diesel I have ever owned and I know nothing about them could some one please give me some advise about what is causing this and how I can fix it thanks
A diesel engine in reasonable mechanical condiion needs fuel and air at the right time and a good battery and starter to get running. Once started it needs fuel and air at the right time. Take the fuel valve off the bottom of the tank and make sure it's not clogged. if it is, clean it and flush the tank to get all the crud out of it.. Replace your fuel filter(s) if you haven't all ready. Check the air filters cause they can get restricted and cause high gas temperatures and piston crown problems. Clrean the outer one and if necessary, replace the inner one.

Having said that, the problem based on your description sounds like fuel supply. If you have adequate fuel delivery to the back of the injector pump, and the problem continues, I'd begin to susupect the pump, but I am not the knowledgable about them so it's conjecture on my part. Maybe RickB can chime in and help.

Thanks for the help, I have new air filters ordered be here tomorrow, both inner and outer, I have replaced the fuel filter but havent checked the tank for crud, will pick up a new fuel filter when I get air filters. Check the tank and clean, If its still giving trouble after that, I guess my best bet would be to get someone at the new holland place to check pump

/ 3600 ford diesel wont run #10  
yep.. try the easy and cheap stuff first.. then the hard / expensive stuff.

soundguy