Mowing NH 455 trail mower

/ NH 455 trail mower #1  

billjoplin

I bought a NH 455 trail mower last year. Bushing on the cutter knife keeps overheating and going out. Is this a common problem? or, is there something more required on the installation than just pressing the new bushing into the knife cutter head? Any advice? thanks.

/ NH 455 trail mower #2  
I used to have a 469 haybine that liked to chew up bushings too. Try unhooking the drive to the knife section and see if the knife section slides back and forth quite easily. Sometimes if a guard gets bent a little, the knives will drag to heavily, putting too much stress on that bushing. You should be able to pull that knife section all the way out by hand.

/ NH 455 trail mower #3  
I had this same problem on my 455. Turned out that the far end of the knife bar was bent slightly, had to replace the entire knife bar. Never could get the bent one straight enough to stop the friction. New knife bar ran about $100.00 from the New Holland dealer and took a couple days for them to get in for me. I burned up two replacement bushings and broke several bolts before I learned my lesson and replaced the bar.

This knife bar can get bent if you throw or break a knife while mowing... always make sure to check the rivets (or screws) that hold the blades in palce to be sure they are tight and in good shape before going into the field. Good luck!

Last edited:
   / NH 455 trail mower #4  
I bought a NH 455 trail mower last year. Bushing on the cutter knife keeps overheating and going out. Is this a common problem? or, is there something more required on the installation than just pressing the new bushing into the knife cutter head? Any advice? thanks.

Some NH mowers have a serial # break in that series. The early models had flat surface on the steel part of the bushing that runs next to the drive plates and the other style had a tapered or beveled steel insert that mated up with a tapered/beveled female drive plates. Make sure you have the correct bushing. Ken Sweet