Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun

/ Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun #1  

theghoul

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 / Farmpro (Jinma) 2425
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for about a year, and thought I finally join with a problem. :)

I have a '92 1920 with 1650 hrs , a backhoe and a loader. I have the infamous "PTO hates you and wont disengage" problem. I've searched here and found info on the freeplay adjustment (which I did per the shop manual) and I'm dreading the news that the clutch or pressure would need replacement.

Before I bend over and pay the dealer for splitting my tractor, the manual mentioned that you could try adjusting the release bolts from an "opening in the clutch housing"

I searched the tractor and cannot find this. Does anyone know where this is? Does my late model unit even have this?

I enclosed the page from the shop manual.
BQkJQ.jpg

/ Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun #2  
Welcome to TBN Blue.

I neither have 1920 or double clutch on my 1700, but do have the clutch access that is just an inspection hand hole for my 1700. The hole is covered by a rubber piece to keep the clutch housing from rain and moisture. If you look at the your manual the clutch pedal is on the left side of tractor. The access should be on the right side of the tractor. Remove the cover by hand pressure to expose the hole and then you can adjust per instructions.

Good luck,
JC,

/ Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun #3  
I am not positive on the 1920 but on my 1900 that inspection hole is behind the left loader mount. Remove the 4 bolts to remove the mount and you should find the hole.
Bill

/ Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun
Thanks,

I'm gonna check that out. I have to remove the BH first and thats always a pain.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 2,017
Last edited:
   / Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun #5  
PS.. I would think yours is an early model.. not a late model.( little difference I would imagine anyway.. ) i had a 97 1920 I would have considered a late model. mine did have bellhousing access.

soundguy

/ Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun #6  
Been lurking here for a while too.

Just got inspiration to post myself.

Our 97' 1920 is doing similar things.

PTO wont engage. Clutch pedal free travel adjusted to approx. .75".

Lever snicks into the engaged detent and a whole Lotta grinding noise goin' on with half hearted shaft rotation.

I'm glad ya posted this and the page out of the shop manual, as I was about to load the tractor up ,and drop it off at the dealer for some wallet rape.

Any chance ya got an update on your adventures?

Thanks!

/ Ford 1920 PTO clutch fun
Been lurking here for a while too.

Just got inspiration to post myself.

Our 97' 1920 is doing similar things.

PTO wont engage. Clutch pedal free travel adjusted to approx. .75".

Lever snicks into the engaged detent and a whole Lotta grinding noise goin' on with half hearted shaft rotation.

I'm glad ya posted this and the page out of the shop manual, as I was about to load the tractor up ,and drop it off at the dealer for some wallet rape.

Any chance ya got an update on your adventures?

Thanks!

Nah, not yet. Luckily I had my garden tractor to cut the high grass.

I have to remove the loader and mounting brackets to try that adjustment. In the meantime I blocked the clutch and will let it sit for a few days to see if it will disengage.

Worse case, new clutch.. hopefully I can find a reman somewhere. New Holland dealer wants 2 grand for new one.

Its not advisable, but if you're in a pinch you can bypass the PTO safety switch under the seat. The PTO will then start with the tractor so you dont have to grind the gears. I had to test an implement so I did it. It will strain your starter.