Oil & Fuel First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs)

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs) #1  

devongarver

Tractor
New Holland T1510
I am ready to do the first fluid change this weekend. I cannot seem to find the part numbers or any specific information regarding oil requirements for my tractor.

It is a New Holland Model T1510. 4wd. Hydro.
Do you have any tips or things to look for on my first change? I have never change the oil on a deisel engine or a tractor before, but I am proficient with most mechanical things and do all my own work on my vehicles so I don't forsee any issues.

Thanks,

Devon

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs) #2  
Do you have the owner's/operator manual? My manual has lots of info in it about routine maintenance. Shell Rotella-T oil specifically for diesels is pretty popular with TBN members. You can find it at most auto supply stores, Walmart, etc.

- Shell Rotella T Triple Protection

Dave.

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs)
Do you have the owner's/operator manual? My manual has lots of info in it about routine maintenance. Shell Rotella-T oil specifically for diesels is pretty popular with TBN members. You can find it at most auto supply stores, Walmart, etc.

- Shell Rotella T Triple Protection

Dave.

I have the owners manual that came with it(bought new from dealer a few months ago) but it does not have the model numbers of any of the filters...

It also does not list the quantity of fluid needed for the change. I just called the dealer I bought it from...the guy wasn't super helpful...I got the price at least of a fuel filter and an engine oil filter, but he couldn't tell me if the quantity of oil needed or if the hydraulic filters needed changed or not. Part of my concern is that I have heard conflicting information about what to change at the first 50 hrs. I have searched intensively online and cannot find anything that seems to be helpful. I wish I could find a Chilton's type of manual for this thing...I have a CD-Rom shop manual for my mustang, works wonders....

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs) #4  
I have the owners manual that came with it(bought new from dealer a few months ago) but it does not have the model numbers of any of the filters...

It also does not list the quantity of fluid needed for the change. I just called the dealer I bought it from...the guy wasn't super helpful...I got the price at least of a fuel filter and an engine oil filter, but he couldn't tell me if the quantity of oil needed or if the hydraulic filters needed changed or not. Part of my concern is that I have heard conflicting information about what to change at the first 50 hrs. I have searched intensively online and cannot find anything that seems to be helpful. I wish I could find a Chilton's type of manual for this thing...I have a CD-Rom shop manual for my mustang, works wonders....

I wonder if they gave you all the manuals. I can't believe there are no capacities listed in the 'real' manual. Maybe things have changed since I bought my tractor in '03 ?

Is there a decal pasted to the underside of the hood that gives the service intervals? Might be, used to be.

Guess you need another T1510 hydro owner to add to this, compare the manual situation.

I would be talking to another dealer if I couldn't improve the service level you are getting. You can try messicks.com, one of the great TBN advertisers. They have lots of online info - and mail order :thumbsup:
Dave.

I wonder if they gave you all the manuals. I can't believe there are no capacities listed in the 'real' manual. Maybe things have changed since I bought my tractor in '03 ?

Is there a decal pasted to the underside of the hood that gives the service intervals? Might be, used to be.

Guess you need another T1510 hydro owner to add to this, compare the manual situation.

I would be talking to another dealer if I couldn't improve the service level you are getting. You can try messicks.com, one of the great TBN advertisers. They have lots of online info - and mail order :thumbsup:
Dave.

Yes, the service interval decal is there, I am just an idiot and forgot to look at it before I left for work this morning...

I could have sworn it said I needed to change the hydraulic filters, but then when I called the dealer he said only fuel filter and the engine oil and filter.

Does anyone on here use Amsoil with any luck? I am about to switch over to their products for my automobiles I think...I have been doing some research and talking to a lot of current Amsoil users-all of them swear by the stuff...

I will check the service interval tag again when i get home. But then I will still need to find the hydraulic filter numbers as well. Do you use aftermarket filters or New Holland brand? I have never used the "company" filters ie motorcraft because they are usually poorly made in comparison to aftermarket offerings...If I could find the specs on the filter, and find an acceptable aftermarket one that would be amazing!

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs) #6  
Typically, NH has you change the hydraulic filters (main and HST) at 50 hours. They DO NOT change hydraulic fluid until 300 hours. I think some dealers don't bother with the filters as yours said, but this is not NH's policy. Any contaminants or metal particles will be trapped in the filters during the first 50 hours and changing them ensures clean fluid for the next 250 hours until the first fluid change. Of course engine oil and filter is recommended to be changed at 50 hours and then again every 100 hours thereafter. Grease as needed not to exceed every 25 hours on the tractor and 8 hours on the loader. Power steering fluid and front axle fluid level should be checked and topped off as needed. Power steering and front axle use the same fluids as the hydraulic system (NH 134 fluid). As Dave mentioned, your Owner's Manual surely has specifications for quantities.

Here are the filter part numbers from messicks.com website.

Hyd. Filter #: 87300043 (about $38)
HST Filter #: SBA340501030 (about $28)

Bear in mind that NH changes numbers pretty often, but if you take these numbers to a NH dealer, they will know if there is a new number. You can use these on the WIX website to see if there is a substitute filter. While your tractor is in warranty, I strongly suggest using NH filters and fluids. It will ensure there will not be a question if you have to make a warranty claim.

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs) #7  
Yes, the service interval decal is there, I am just an idiot and forgot to look at it before I left for work this morning...

I could have sworn it said I needed to change the hydraulic filters, but then when I called the dealer he said only fuel filter and the engine oil and filter.

Does anyone on here use Amsoil with any luck? I am about to switch over to their products for my automobiles I think...I have been doing some research and talking to a lot of current Amsoil users-all of them swear by the stuff...

I will check the service interval tag again when i get home. But then I will still need to find the hydraulic filter numbers as well. Do you use aftermarket filters or New Holland brand? I have never used the "company" filters ie motorcraft because they are usually poorly made in comparison to aftermarket offerings...If I could find the specs on the filter, and find an acceptable aftermarket one that would be amazing!

The only after market filter I have used is the oil filter. I have stuck with the NH hydraulic, fuel and power steering filters.

The hood tag may not have the initial 50 hours changes listed, just the regular. I hesitate to give advice about a tractor that is much newer and HST, but the 50 hours changes Jim posted are the same for my tractor too. My oil change takes about 6 quarts, so I buy it in 2 or 2.5 gal. jugs and always have some of the same left over if I need to top off, which I don't remember needing to do. :)

I think I would change the front axle and front wheel final drive oil fairly soon too - no filters there. (You really need a manual that shows where the drain and fill plugs are.) Any metallic grit will get taken out of the oil bath early. IF your tractor is the same as mine, the front axle and final drives use the same NH 134 hydraulic fluid as your transmission and power steering. There is a drain and fill plug for each front wheel plus a drain plug for the front axle housing - they are three separate reservoirs.

All the fluids are to be changed when near their normal operating temp, just like a car. I guess that gets all the nasty stuff in suspension.

For starters, it won't hurt to buy 15-20 gal. of hydraulic fluid. You will use it all eventually and you will always have some on hand.

If you can find someone who has a waste oil furnace, they will take the oil and the hydraulic fluid. Or maybe your area has a complete recycling center that accepts used oil.
Dave.

Typically, NH has you change the hydraulic filters (main and HST) at 50 hours. They DO NOT change hydraulic fluid until 300 hours. I think some dealers don't bother with the filters as yours said, but this is not NH's policy. Any contaminants or metal particles will be trapped in the filters during the first 50 hours and changing them ensures clean fluid for the next 250 hours until the first fluid change. Of course engine oil and filter is recommended to be changed at 50 hours and then again every 100 hours thereafter. Grease as needed not to exceed every 25 hours on the tractor and 8 hours on the loader. Power steering fluid and front axle fluid level should be checked and topped off as needed. Power steering and front axle use the same fluids as the hydraulic system (NH 134 fluid). As Dave mentioned, your Owner's Manual surely has specifications for quantities.

Here are the filter part numbers from messicks.com website.

Hyd. Filter #: 87300043 (about $38)
HST Filter #: SBA340501030 (about $28)

Bear in mind that NH changes numbers pretty often, but if you take these numbers to a NH dealer, they will know if there is a new number. You can use these on the WIX website to see if there is a substitute filter. While your tractor is in warranty, I strongly suggest using NH filters and fluids. It will ensure there will not be a question if you have to make a warranty claim.

The only after market filter I have used is the oil filter. I have stuck with the NH hydraulic, fuel and power steering filters.

The hood tag may not have the initial 50 hours changes listed, just the regular. I hesitate to give advice about a tractor that is much newer and HST, but the 50 hours changes Jim posted are the same for my tractor too. My oil change takes about 6 quarts, so I buy it in 2 or 2.5 gal. jugs and always have some of the same left over if I need to top off, which I don't remember needing to do. :)

I think I would change the front axle and front wheel final drive oil fairly soon too - no filters there. (You really need a manual that shows where the drain and fill plugs are.) Any metallic grit will get taken out of the oil bath early. IF your tractor is the same as mine, the front axle and final drives use the same NH 134 hydraulic fluid as your transmission and power steering. There is a drain and fill plug for each front wheel plus a drain plug for the front axle housing - they are three separate reservoirs.

All the fluids are to be changed when near their normal operating temp, just like a car. I guess that gets all the nasty stuff in suspension.

For starters, it won't hurt to buy 15-20 gal. of hydraulic fluid. You will use it all eventually and you will always have some on hand.

If you can find someone who has a waste oil furnace, they will take the oil and the hydraulic fluid. Or maybe your area has a complete recycling center that accepts used oil.
Dave.

Excellent information fellas! Now i am getting somewhere! I unfortunately did not have a chance to go through the manual again last night as I worked a pretty long shift yesterday, however I did check the sticker, and you are correct, the stick does not show the "initial" 50 hr change, just the routine interval changes. I do remember though, I read through the entire manual once, and it did not say a thing about fluid requirements or capacities that i remember...problem is, I have trouble remembering what I had for dinner 3 nights ago...so I'll be looking at that manual again tonight hopefully.

Just so I am clear, do you seem confident in using the NH branded products direct from the dealer? I honestly do not care what the cost is, as this is a serious investment(the tractor) and I only want the best for it. That being said, if I can get an aftermarket filter of better quality-I would like to you know?

As for the hydraulic fluid, is there any specific type, or just generic hydraulic fluid? I can get this at TSC I assume? I'm sorry for the seemingly silly questions, I grew up on a farm where we didn't have a tractor...might as well have been amish-all our neighbors are lol.

Jeez, now that i am thinking about it, I really don't have any experience maintaining a tractor at all. I have plenty of experience operating machinery(did commercial plumbing for a few years) but I never serviced the machines. I grease all the fittings periodically, but I grease the brush hog u joints every 4-5 hrs of use, and every 8-10 hrs likely for the rest of the tractor. Can I really be "over doing it" with the grease? Any ill effects of doing this? I am using a premium grease from TSC, so I assume it's of good quality at least. Man..maybe i should have made a thread in a different section and titled it, hi, I'm new here..help! lol.

OK, so here is what I have gathered thus far. I need:

Engine Oil filter-
Engine Oil-
Hydraulic Filter-
HST Filter-
Fuel Filter-
Hydraulic Fluid for future use-

Possibly front diff fluid as well? I will try to find out for sure if it uses the same fluid as you say. Again with the engine oil, if I buy a 15w40 will that work year round? I live in NE Ohio and will be moving snow with this in the winter.

Thanks again for the help guys, I am really liking this website!!!

/ First Filter and Fluid Change(50 hrs) #9  
Just so I am clear, do you seem confident in using the NH branded products direct from the dealer? I honestly do not care what the cost is, as this is a serious investment(the tractor) and I only want the best for it. That being said, if I can get an aftermarket filter of better quality-I would like to you know?

As for the hydraulic fluid, is there any specific type, or just generic hydraulic fluid? I can get this at TSC I assume? I'm sorry for the seemingly silly questions, I grew up on a farm where we didn't have a tractor...might as well have been amish-all our neighbors are lol.

Jeez, now that i am thinking about it, I really don't have any experience maintaining a tractor at all. I have plenty of experience operating machinery(did commercial plumbing for a few years) but I never serviced the machines. I grease all the fittings periodically, but I grease the brush hog u joints every 4-5 hrs of use, and every 8-10 hrs likely for the rest of the tractor. Can I really be "over doing it" with the grease? Any ill effects of doing this? I am using a premium grease from TSC, so I assume it's of good quality at least. Man..maybe i should have made a thread in a different section and titled it, hi, I'm new here..help! lol.

OK, so here is what I have gathered thus far. I need:

Engine Oil filter-
Engine Oil-
Hydraulic Filter-
HST Filter-
Fuel Filter-
Hydraulic Fluid for future use-

Possibly front diff fluid as well? I will try to find out for sure if it uses the same fluid as you say. Again with the engine oil, if I buy a 15w40 will that work year round? I live in NE Ohio and will be moving snow with this in the winter.

There are only three types of fluids used in newer NH compact tractors:
NH Ambra 134G Hydraulic Fluid - goes in everywhere except the engine and radiator.
Engine oil suitable for diesel use - engine crankcase only.
50-50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water - radiator.

Like Jim said, I would certainly stick with the NH filters and hydraulic fluid as long as you are in the warranty period. There are many opinions on this, but you won't go wrong using NH to begin with.

Yes, 15W-40 motor oil will be okay year around in NE Ohio.

Don't think you can over do the grease as long as you are reasonable. Don't blow out the rubber boots around your steering tie-rod ends though. If you have a front end loader, I would grease that every 4 hours minimum when using it.

Add to your list - a collection of funky funnels and two 5 gal. capacity oil drain pans. A set of metric wrenches and sockets. Just about all the fasteners on your tractor are metric. Oil filter wrenches. :D
Dave.

There are only three types of fluids used in newer NH compact tractors:
NH Ambra 134G Hydraulic Fluid - goes in everywhere except the engine and radiator.
Engine oil suitable for diesel use - engine crankcase only.
50-50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water - radiator.

Like Jim said, I would certainly stick with the NH filters and hydraulic fluid as long as you are in the warranty period. There are many opinions on this, but you won't go wrong using NH to begin with.

Yes, 15W-40 motor oil will be okay year around in NE Ohio.

Don't think you can over do the grease as long as you are reasonable. Don't blow out the rubber boots around your steering tie-rod ends though. If you have a front end loader, I would grease that every 4 hours minimum when using it.

Add to your list - a collection of funky funnels and two 5 gal. capacity oil drain pans. A set of metric wrenches and sockets. Just about all the fasteners on your tractor are metric. Oil filter wrenches. :D
Dave.

OK, I have several funnels, all the tools I could possibly need(I work on cars alot lol) but I do NOT have a large oil drain pan let alone two so I need to get those haha.

Ok, so I assume the NH hydraulic is going to be readily available at the NH dealer, but they have terrible hours, do they have something comparable to the quality at TSC perhaps or no?