3-Point Hitch TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #1  

CentralNC

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35A
I have a question for the forum. I typically read a lot, but I don't post very often. I do value the knowledge of the group.

I have a TC35A w/16LA FEL that I have owned for about 3 years. I have used it to clear our land and mow the pastures. We are finally beginning construction on our house. I had a very good (old and heavy) 5' Wood Scrape blade that I used to maintain my In-laws driveway. I left it out of the shed while we were at the beach and someone actually stole it!! :mad: We live out in the country and I never thought anyone would actually steal a scrape blade.

I need to buy another blade, but I was considering a box blade. I have never owned one. I can't decide whether to buy the box blade or a good scrape blade to be used primarily for driveway maintenance and ditch cleaning. The advantage of the scrape blade is that it swivels. The box blade has teeth and seems like it is more for dirt removal.

What would you guys suggest ... to be used primarily for driveway and ditch maintenance? Box or scrape blade?

thanks for your advice!!

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #2  
i have both and use my boxblade WAY more than my angle blade. the boxblade is excelent for moving a lot of dirt fast. If you plan on excavating and filling areas in, get a boxblade.

Attachments

• 5-15-10 032.jpg
    5-15-10 032.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 876
   / TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #3  
I have both a scraper and box blade and I use the box blade for the driveway maintenance and earth moving. I only use the scraper for plowing snow. The only plus for a scraper blade is if it is the offset type it will allow you to get the blade into the ditch farther than the tractor.

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #4  
I have both and each one has its uses. First I got the box blade and like said before it will move and level dirt but is not the best for snow removal if you have a long distance to clear snow it loads up and you continually need to stop raise the blade and reverse push it off the road or driveway. But if you are working a gravel driveway it does an excellent job replacing gravel in wash outs or dragging the gravel back uphill on the drive without having the gravel slide off either or both ends that happens with a blade. But when I need to remove snow off my inclined drive I always use the straight blade and by making 4 passes (first pass just right of center)(angled in the same direction for all passes) I can clear a long drive for 2 cars with 2 passes up and 2 passes down. Works better and quicker that a box blade. So I guess my recommendation is: Get both of them and you can do anything you need to do quick and easy. Note, I do not have a FEL.
Scrapper teeth, I used them once in 30 years and since then they are sitting in the shed in a pile. They can do more damage than good and the box works a lot better without them.
When you buy a 16 ton load of gravel for that driveway, the only way you are going to be able to level and smooth it out is with the box blade.
Check some auctions and sales of used as they never really wear out, but don't pay "new Price" unless you buy new.

Last edited:
   / TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #5  
If I had it to do all over again...
I would get a bigger heavier duty box blade...

But I would still get the scrape..

Check out craigslist..
I got a deal on one..
Also since your in Charlotte...

there is this place on 85 ..
Kimbrell Farm Equipment..

Check with them on some stuff..
I have driven by it a dozen times this year and keep meaning to stop..
they have lots of used implements...

BUT in the end-- get a good box blade and search for 3RRL's box blade thread...

J

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #6  
I been watching farm implement prices for 30 years now. I thing I learned is that blades hold their value. If you buy either a box or scraper blade you can nearly always sell it used for what you paid for it no matter how long you own it. They are like money in the bank savings account.

Last edited:
   / TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade
Thanks for all the good advice. I am going to buy a box blade. I found a very heavy duty (used) box blade within about 20 minutes from our house. It is a 6' Woods box blade. I am going to look at it tonight and bring it home if it looks solid.

Is $300 a good price for a solid, heavy duty 6' box blade? Thanks again for all the comments.

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #8  
Thanks for all the good advice. I am going to buy a box blade. I found a very heavy duty (used) box blade within about 20 minutes from our house. It is a 6' Woods box blade. I am going to look at it tonight and bring it home if it looks solid.

Is $300 a good price for a solid, heavy duty 6' box blade? Thanks again for all the comments.
IMHO Yes! Not a steal, but fair. Use this for comparison

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade
I bought the used Gill box scrape (6') and put it to work on Saturday morning. It is very good for cutting down high spots and smoothing out the driveway. This is a very heavy box scrape and the weight is an advantage.

I did some testing on using the teeth vs. raising the teeth up out of the way. The driveway looks great and I am happy with the purchase. I believe purchasing the used, heavy duty Gill box scrape was a better choice vs. the 6' new box blade from Tractor Supply ($600). The combination of box blade and the bucket on my FEL is a great combination when repairing driveways.

I appreciate all the advice and comments.

/ TC35A - Box Blade or Scrape Blade #10  
Here is a tip for you as to the best time to grade your driveway. At least this is the way I do mine. Work the drive after a good rain and before it dries off. This will distribute the road gravel dirt evenly and fill any pot holes much better. Then as an option, (my drive has a steep slope), after you get it smooth, use your lawn tractor to drive over the newly scraped areas to pack it down while still wet. The weight of the mower will pack the dirt and gravel togather and seal it. Go over the full width and use the smoth tires as a roller packer, This will make your driveway stay in place longer. (Note, you cant use your big tracter for this as the tractor tread will rough it up too much. You need a smother tire to seal it, a car will work too. 30 years experiance grading my drive.