Ford 5000 Diesel Governor

/ Ford 5000 Diesel Governor #1  

Jackfr

Gold Member
Tractor
NH WorkMaster 33 Ford F5000 NH T 4.90 Ford 2110 JD555B
Does anyone know how to adjust a simms inline 4 cyl injector pump on my Ford 5000 (1964). We had the pump rebuilt last year because of diesel fuel mixed in the lube oil of the pump, when we had the engine rebuilt(ate a piston)and installed new injectors. It hasn't been right since it went back together. It bogs climbing hills and over revs going down hill unless you are up and down on the throttle constantly. The gov worked better before it was rebuilt. Used to be able to pretty much set it and forget it. Other than the gov problem the engine runs fine smooth no black smoke etc plenty of power if you are on the throttle all the time. I was hoping I could adjust the gov on the tractor because you have to pull the nose radiator etc. to get the pump off and on and set timing. The outfit that rebuilt it said I could only change the amount of fuel flow to the pump that anything else it had to come off and sent back to them. Which would tie up tractor a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• F5000 injection pump.jpg
    F5000 injection pump.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 23,777
   / Ford 5000 Diesel Governor #2  
I would strongly suggest that you pull the pump and send it back. I know it痴 not what you wanted to hear, but the adjustment needs to be done on a test stand.

/ Ford 5000 Diesel Governor
Sorry it took so long to reply.
I have a real concern sending it back to the company who rebuilt it. When they sent it back to me after rebuilding it we installed it and then found out that the drain plug on the bottom was stripped and had to take it out and helicore it. So no guaranty it will work right after they have it for two weeks(their turn around estimate) and possibly another charge along with shipping each way.
I was wondering if I should just live with it the way it is or buy a rebuilt one, as it sounds like I can't fix this one myself. That way I can just swap it out when it gets here then the tractor won't be tied up. They charged me 1500 to rebuild it and I have seen rebuilts for 900 on the web. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jack

RickB what are your thoughts

/ Ford 5000 Diesel Governor #4  
Either buy an exchange pump, or limp it through until you can lay it up & get it done correctly. Were it me, I'd let the shop that did the original work know exactly what was going on & tell them they can fix it for free at YOUR convenience, not theirs.

Talked to the repair shop and they told me their rebuild was out of warranty(probably my fault for waiting so long), but they will look at it and repair or make adjustments for a small charge (?)plus shipping each way. They said it wouldn't be as much as a total rebuild. I think i'm better off purchasing a rebuilt and installing it.
Anyone give me a recommendation on who to purchase from, that they have had good luck with?

Jack

/ Ford 5000 Diesel Governor #6  
did they indicate what that 'small' shop charge and shipping might be? I'f it's cheap enough.. and the shipping is not stomped all over.. you might take that route if you want to save money... new unit to install will be a chunk of change..

soundguy

They said it depends on what they find. Dealer price on a rebuilt one is 1650 plus 400 core and I have seen them on line as low as 900 plus core charge.

After what I have gone through with this repair shop for our 5000 injector pump and our 6640 loader valve problems, I'm leaning toward ordering it through my NH dealer even though its steep (after already paying 1500 for a rebuild)at least I know when i'm done it will work or they will stand behind it. If I had done that in the beginning with the 6640 loader valve it would have been fixed right last spring instead of trying to save a few dollars and I ended up buying NH parts (loader valve and joystick assembly)anyway through the dealer for the 6640. The 6640 loader works better now then it ever did.

I think RickB's idea is what I will do limp it along until late fall when I can tear it down order in a new pump from NH and be done with it. The last one lasted over 35years and all that was wrong with it when I sent it out was diesel fuel getting into the lube oil sump. The govenor worked and the engine ran ok until it ate up number one piston.If I had ordered from my NH dealer in the first place I probably wouldn't have this problem.

The biggest problem is I have to tear down the entire nose so I can see to set the timing on the new injector pump. That is why I was hoping for an easy fix to this pump. Unless someone knows an easier way to install and setup the new injection pump