16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD

/ 16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I was clearing a path in my postoak and blackjack oak woods yesterday when the hose going to the left loader curl cylinder "let go" and spewed a hydraulic fluid fountain. I had the bucket curled down (cylinders extended) scraping up loose limbs and pushing them into a gulley when I hit a small stump. Instead of the loader going over the stump, the instantaneous pressure caused the hose to pop./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

The good news is that the hose is only about 16" long and easy to replace. I'm not sure if it is covered under warranty, but even if it isn't, it won't be a big expense. What I do know is that you can't replace it with a hose from TSC (at least not at my local store in Decatur, TX). My NH dealer is open on Saturday morning only, so of course this happened at 1 pm on Saturday afternoon./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I only lost about a quart of fluid because I disconnected the curl cylinder's quick disconnect fittings before driving my tractor back to my house with the loader bucket hanging down like a scolded puppy's head. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Removing the loader from the tractor without a curl cylinder was fun /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif, but by putting a large block under the stand, I was able to get the arms to lift out of their sockets while using only the lift cylinders. When I replace the hose, I'll have the use of lift and curl to help me reinstall the loader./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ 16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD #2  
I lost a hose a few years ago in our big snowstorm. I was clearing a culdesac and it a water valve riser at a good clip. The hydro fluid shot 30+' into the snow, before I could shut it down. Of course, with the blizzard, nobody was open to get it repaired. Shut me down for almost a day.

I keep a extra hydro hose in the garage now just in case.

gary

/ 16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD #3  
jinman,

It's off already, but please BE CAREFULL around the loader. You are supposed to keep it on the tractor when doing service work on the hydraulics so It doesn't collapse. Probably more important on the lift cylinders, but watch yourself anyway.

/ 16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD #4  
Ditto on the above advice, can't imagine trying to take the FEL off the tractor and then putting it back on without hydraulics (admittedly the hydrauliucs would return pretty quickly once hose is replaced) -- seems like it would be like a floppy dead fish!
Had mine blow several weeks ago and was actually kinda surprised that it had the excess pressure to blow out as opposed to blow by a relief valve! Took the old one to my local car parts place - 20 minutes and $20 later I was back out installing it! Slightly larger in diameter than original OEM anb it does take a funky bend when in use.
Question - when it blew, I too had the privilige of witnessing a hydraulic geyser - all over me and the tractor. Any danger of all that fluid on the plastic housing on our Boomers? I know it is actually a great way to protect metal surfaces but had some misgivings about simply wiping down the hood and fenders with all that fluid. It sure did make 'em shine though!!

Good luck getting your loader back on and be careful!

Steve

/ 16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD
There was really no problem getting the loader off once I put the stand up on a block so the bucket would drop down and lift the arms out of their sockets. When I replace the hose, I'll have full use of all hydraulics when I go to put the loader back on. Actually, my loader is very easy to detach/attach. If I need to move it slightly, I'll just turn around and use a boom pole on my 3PH to lift/move the loader. It's important to remember there are two working ends on a tractor with a FEL. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I washed all hydraulic fluid off right away after getting my tractor out of the woods and back to my house. I know that diesel fuel won't hurt paint, but it is pretty hard on wax...not that any of us would admit that we wax our tractors./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Gary, I got my hose replaced yesterday. It wasn't under warranty, but it only cost me $15. The dealer used 4000 psi hose, so I think this one will not be as likely to bust if I bump something while pushing brush. I couldn't help but think as you related your experience with the water valve riser, that you were lucky to hit the riser instead of the valve. You might have created a fountain. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I guess that's why they put a concrete riser around most valves like that.

/ 16LA hydraulic hose goes *BAD #7  
Jinman, I had a similar thing happen to my 16LA only it was the left lift hose. With only 55 hours a small pin hole developed near the fitting. I did not think it was covered by warranty but my dealer said it was and replaced it at no charge. He reminded me that the warranty was bumper to bumper.

George

<font color=blue>warranty was bumper to bumper</font color=blue>

That's pretty funny/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif... since I have a front bumper on my tractor and the loader hose that busted is just out in front of that, maybe that's why it wasn't covered./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Actually, the service manager was out to lunch and the parts guy at the counter just "guessed" that the warranty was only one year. For $15, I just went ahead and got the hose because I had plumbing contractors coming to my new house 20 miles away and I needed to get back to be there. If I'd had the time, I'd have waited on the service manager. The manager looks like an "unmade bed" most of the time, but he knows his stuff and treats his customers right. If he hadn't been at lunch, I'm pretty sure the hose wouldn't have cost me a penny./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif