Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000

/ Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000 #1  

Griffin

Bronze Member
Tractor
'72 Ford 3000
A while back I hooked up my liquid spreader and filled with about 80 gallons. All the extra weight on the backend made the frontend a little light. I then noticed that my front tires were both turned in, like they were pigeon toed. Later the front wheels returned to normal, however, every once in a while they will turn in again. ????

What could cause this. I'm guessing that the steering gears are worn and have skipped a tooth.????

/ Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000 #2  
I doubt you have a slipped a tooth. what you may have is excessive backlash, excessive toe in ( or both ), and perhaps spindle bushing wear.

is this manual or power steering?

how much rotational movement of the steering wheel does it take before the front wheels start to respond.

also.. do the sector arms coming out o fthe steering box move fore or aft before they start rotational motion?

does one sector arm start rotational motion befor ehte other. IE.. does the leading or forward ( double sector ) start moving rotationally before the aft / single sector?

is there any rise / fall of the steering wheel when turned lock to lock?

soundguy

/ Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000
The tractor has power steering. It has always had a problem with what I would call plowing, in that when you turn the wheel at speed, the tractor tries to push forward rather than turn and the outside edge of the tire tears up the grass as it turns. The wheel seems to almost fold under, they don't stay straight up. And they are somewhat toed in.

As far as slop in the steering wheel, I would say it has some but not too excessive for its age. And the wheel does not rise or fall when turning.

/ Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000 #4  
Any chance the differential lock is holding the rear tires at the same speed?

/ Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000 #5  
yep.. I'd check diffy lock and dragging brakes.

I'd like to see a pic of your front end. including axle and spindles in relation to axle and wheel hub. geometry sounds off if they are folded in... sounds like lots of positive camber if the top of the tire is out, and the bottom is folded in....

1/4" toe in at the front is correct.

/ Steering Gear Box - Ford 3000
I'll take some pics this weekend.