Dipstick wear

/ Dipstick wear #1  

tawilson

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH2120 RTV500 Bobcat S250 Kubota U25s
The transmission dipstick is showing some wear marks on it, as if something rubbing against it. It's got a groove on 2 sides, probably from checking the oil and putting it back, not in the same position. It isn't bent and everything works fine. I did adjust the clutch this spring, but I've never been inside a tractor so I don't know if that could be the reason. Any thoughts?

/ Dipstick wear #2  
Is it a 1000 series with a plastic screw-in dipstick?

/ Dipstick wear #3  
I has one one time that was being ground on inside trans,so I got two dipsticks,cut the one stick off and just used it for a plug,checked with other one.

/ Dipstick wear
Oops, guess it would have helped to say what tractor I have. It's a 1996 2120 and it's a metal dipstick. I did leave it out and have a plug in. Thanks for the replies.

/ Dipstick wear #5  
2120's have an adjustable collar separating 2 gears. Either the collar loosened up, and a gear came out of position, or, the collar is loose on the shaft. Either condition will wear the dipstick. If a gear came out of position, there will be considerable noise, loose collar-no noise. You can either run it until it gets noisy, or, remove the top cover and take a look inside. Unfortunately, to repair a collar issue requires a full teardown.

/ Dipstick wear
No noise yet. Anything to pulling the plate besides just taking the bolts out?

/ Dipstick wear #7  
HSS, the top plate might fit under the steering motor support, which will need to be unbolted for clearance. SSS, the F/R shift shaft sticks out the top of the cover, makes it a little more challenging. If there's no noise, just use a plug and a separate dipstick to check the oil. Worry about it if and when it gets noisy. Fixing it in any sense is a big job. The tractor needs to be split at the engine, and the trans removed from the rear axle.

/ Dipstick wear #8  
I would take the warning sign your tractor was good enough to give you very seriously . I'd find out why it is doing it and fix it before it has a massive failure .

/ Dipstick wear
I wanted to update this thread. I got a new dipstick last fall and have put 100 hours on the tractor and the new dipstick is not showing any wear. :thumbsup:
Maybe it's an intermittent issue or I have carried a chainsaw or chains there so maybe something pushed the dipstick against a gear. I didn't pull the cover off. Maybe I will this summer. I've used this tractor hard and need to give it some care.

/ Dipstick wear #10  
I have experienced the same issue. for several years. no noise but wear on metal dipstick. once when at dealer attempting a differecnt repair they replaced....new now shows wear 2500 hrs on tractor