Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH2120 RTV500 Bobcat S250

Default Dipstick wear

The transmission dipstick is showing some wear marks on it, as if something rubbing against it. It's got a groove on 2 sides, probably from checking the oil and putting it back, not in the same position. It isn't bent and everything works fine. I did adjust the clutch this spring, but I've never been inside a tractor so I don't know if that could be the reason. Any thoughts?
    Tom

Gold Member

Default Re: Dipstick wear

Is it a 1000 series with a plastic screw-in dipstick?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ck30 kioti

I has one one time that was being ground on inside trans,so I got two dipsticks,cut the one stick off and just used it for a plug,checked with other one.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Oops, guess it would have helped to say what tractor I have. It's a 1996 2120 and it's a metal dipstick. I did leave it out and have a plug in. Thanks for the replies.
    Tom

Gold Member

2120's have an adjustable collar separating 2 gears. Either the collar loosened up, and a gear came out of position, or, the collar is loose on the shaft. Either condition will wear the dipstick. If a gear came out of position, there will be considerable noise, loose collar-no noise. You can either run it until it gets noisy, or, remove the top cover and take a look inside. Unfortunately, to repair a collar issue requires a full teardown.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

No noise yet. Anything to pulling the plate besides just taking the bolts out?
    Tom

Gold Member

HSS, the top plate might fit under the steering motor support, which will need to be unbolted for clearance. SSS, the F/R shift shaft sticks out the top of the cover, makes it a little more challenging. If there's no noise, just use a plug and a separate dipstick to check the oil. Worry about it if and when it gets noisy. Fixing it in any sense is a big job. The tractor needs to be split at the engine, and the trans removed from the rear axle.

I would take the warning sign your tractor was good enough to give you very seriously . I'd find out why it is doing it and fix it before it has a massive failure .

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I wanted to update this thread. I got a new dipstick last fall and have put 100 hours on the tractor and the new dipstick is not showing any wear.
    Maybe it's an intermittent issue or I have carried a chainsaw or chains there so maybe something pushed the dipstick against a gear. I didn't pull the cover off. Maybe I will this summer. I've used this tractor hard and need to give it some care.
    Tom