Ford 3600 live PTO slipping

/ Ford 3600 live PTO slipping #1  

Laneman

Bronze Member
I'm looking at buying this diesel Ford 3600 tractor. Seller says recently he noticed while mowing tall grass with 5 foot brushhog, the PTO was barely turning. This tractor has a live PTO. When letting out clutch, first the PTO turns, then when pedal is further released tractor starts to roll. Tractor drives fine in all gears, only the PTO slips while under load. No clutch is installed on 3 point driveshaft. Tractor has around 2500 hours. Before I buy this I want to know if I can tell whether it is just an adjustment or if clutch needs to be replaced.

/ Ford 3600 live PTO slipping #2  
Seller may know more than he lets on. If you have the correct clutch pedal free play (an inch or so), chances are the pto clutch disc is worn or springs overheated. That would be from a misadjusted clutch or chronic feathering when engaging the pto. Check and see if the adjustment threads look clean for a ways - maybe it was only recently put into proper free play? 2500 hours could wear out a clutch, though not if it was treated right. OTOH, a new clutch assembly (deducted from the purchase price, maybe) would erase all questions there. I don't think splitting the housings on a non-loader rig would be a deal-killer.
Jim

/ Ford 3600 live PTO slipping
Is there any way to tell if it is only an adjustment needed? I was reading that these have an inspection cover and there is a gap setting inside for the pto clutch.

/ Ford 3600 live PTO slipping #4  
The 3600 is a great old tractor. (as are all of the x600 series)

JMHO, but if it were me, I would just get a price for replacing the clutches (no need to replace one without the other) and consider that part of the purchase cost. If you can get the current owner to deduct that from the asking price, good for you. If not, you need to decide if the asking price + clutch replacement = a cost that you can live with.

/ Ford 3600 live PTO slipping #5  
I agree.. if the free play is correct.. that is about all you can do.. if the clutch for the pto is slipping.. well.. it is likely ready for a split. and if i split it.. I'd be doing everything in there.. input shaft seal, etc..

soundguy