Something jerked the plug off my block heater

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Something or more likely someone - me - jerked the plug off my block heater. Don't know when it happened, but should I just splice in a new plug or should I consider a new heater since it may have been damaged by the jerk too?

Is there a way I might test if the heater is still good?

Thanks,

Attachments

• heaterplug.jpg
    heaterplug.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 185
   / Something jerked the plug off my block heater #2  
I am not sure what meter to use to check it. I would try a new plug first, then plug it in and see if it gets warm around the jacket. I would think it would be okay. Does the heater part itself look like the cord pulled out of it? I imagine those are pretty stout.

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater #3  
Something or more likely someone - me - jerked the plug off my block heater. Don't know when it happened, but should I just splice in a new plug or should I consider a new heater since it may have been damaged by the jerk too?

Is there a way I might test if the heater is still good?

Thanks,

Look at the outlet where you had the heater plugged in, you will find the plug so you can use it again. Now don't ask me how I know this............... You may also have to repair the plug where you originally had the heater plugged in, if any damage occurred it was probably at the plug in location.

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater #4  
PHP:
I am not sure what meter to use to check it.
I would try a new plug first, then plug it in and see if it gets warm around the jacket. I would think it would be okay. Does the heater part itself look like the cord pulled out of it? I imagine those are pretty stout.

A Ohm meter is what you need to check it . A simple continuity tester will work also. Greg

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater
Look at the outlet where you had the heater plugged in, you will find the plug so you can use it again. Now don't ask me how I know this............... You may also have to repair the plug where you originally had the heater plugged in, if any damage occurred it was probably at the plug in location.

I hadn't had it plugged in since last winter. I've been wiring my barn and was showing my son where I wanted to locate an outlet so it would be easy to plug in the heater. That was when I saw the wires. So it may have been gone for months.

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater #6  
Barry, you didnt lose the plug, its out in the field, go find it. ....:laughing:
Seriously, inspect the wire going into the case closely for any signs of being pulled. There is a good chance that you will only need to replace the plug. I would assume that the heater is 120 v at 15 amps, I would install an outlet and wire for 120 v and 20 amps to lesson the house wiring voltage drop. :thumbsup:

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater #7  
Barry, I think Transit has the best idea. I checked my Repair Manual and nothing is shown for the block heater. Is there a tag on it somewhere that shows how many watts or what the current draw should be? If it is 1200 watts, then it draws 10 amps at 120 VAC. 10 amps means the heater is about 12 ohms. You can measure the wires to see if your heater reads between 10 and 15 ohms as they sometimes change with use and temperature. You could also fuse the circuit for 20 amps since you are rewiring it anyhow. Of course, the outlet that you plug the heater into might have a 15 amp breaker, so you are probably protected there already.

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater #8  
I would assume that the heater is 120 v at 15 amps, :thumbsup:

Off by a factor of three. a 600 watt block heater in a TC40 draws no more than 5 amps at nominal voltage. A good heater element should show a handful of ohms of resistance. A dead short between the terminals and/or a terminal & the heater's housing indicates a failed heater, as does one open between the terminals. It is likely that replacing the cord is all that is required. Please note that one can buy the cord separately, but the heater element only comes in a kit with a cord.

/ Something jerked the plug off my block heater
Off by a factor of three. a 600 watt block heater in a TC40 draws no more than 5 amps at nominal voltage. A good heater element should show a handful of ohms of resistance. A dead short between the terminals and/or a terminal & the heater's housing indicates a failed heater, as does one open between the terminals. It is likely that replacing the cord is all that is required. Please note that one can buy the cord separately, but the heater element only comes in a kit with a cord.

I just did a quick continuity check and it was good. I think the orange object is the cord into the heater. It would be best if I can replace the whole cord. My dealer is now a two hour round trip, so I'll see if I can order on line.

Thanks,

Attachments

• blockheater.jpg
    blockheater.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 124
   / Something jerked the plug off my block heater #10  
I just did a quick continuity check and it was good. I think the orange object is the cord into the heater. It would be best if I can replace the whole cord. My dealer is now a two hour round trip, so I'll see if I can order on line.

Thanks,

Call your local dealer; I'll bet he's willing to ship the cord to you. Every dealership worth its salt ships parts out every day.